Heaters for 75 gal Discus - 1 big, or 2 smaller?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mimikate

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Am assembling equipment for my discus' new 75 gallon home, & I'm trying to decide if it's better to get one large heater or two mediums. I keep the water at 85 degree ( 15 to 20 degrees over ambient room temp. )
Dual fears are one large heater could cook them if it becomes stuck, but 2 heaters double the chance of equipment failure.
Presently I have an Aqueon 150 watt in their smaller home, but after 5 months the temp dial is meaningless: I had to play w/it to find a setting to maintain desired temp :confused: & now check it 10x a day due to lack of trust. Eheim Jager seems to have a great reputation except customer service is sorry if there is a problem. In-line heaters scare me because there's no visible light for assurance, + it is an extra opportunity for a leak.
:flowers: Many Thanks for your thoughts & advice!

I'm going with 2x larger heaters split evenly in the tank with thermometers mounted in each corner. With backup smaller heaters to drop in case one fails.

I've also been looking at the Apex/Neptune setup if you have $$$ to spend, or have $$$ to ensure your discus water conditions are top notch.

Neptune Systems AquaController Apex Kit: Aquarium Controllers and Monitors

Its always a good idea to have multiple smaller heaters as it will provide better heat distribution than one larger heater. something else you could also try is a powerhead or wavemaker to help push the heat throughout the aquarium better.

Use 2 heaters and a controller . I use the Azoo controllers . Good price and have been rock solid for almost a year . As for Eheim/Jager customer service...I had one of their heaters die a couple of weeks ago and after answering a couple questions and providing a receipt they sent me a new heater . Their heaters are all that I use . Hope this helps .

Back
Top Bottom