HEELLPPP!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

t27countryboy

Aquarium Advice Regular
OK,Enough is enough

I need to get this darn tank cycled once and for all.I was a fool and thought I new what I was doing and I am hurting my fish and I am sad,Please someone tell me what to do:::I have a 55gallon freshwater setup with 2 oscars at 6inches a piece,Two algea-eaters..I am running two emperor 400's and have lots of airation.Also have a twin tube strip light.Temperature is at a steady 79degrees.This tank has been running for two months.My fish are having a hard time with there skin mostly.I think that it is because of the ammonia levels.Today it is very high.Close to 2ppm.That is bad.I think that I need to start a new cycle and get it done right.Or should I work with the water I have now and try to fix it?I dont now what to do anymore!!!I use ammo-lock 2 and prime but it ain't working to bring down the ammonia lkevels.I also have marinelands diamond blend in both filters.

I also have been doing once a week 30% water changes and gravel vacs.I cant believe all the waste when I gravel vac.It is bad.

Id say do more water changes till you get the ammonia to around 1ppm...when i was cycling my tank the experts here in AA told me not to do gravel vacs or touch the filter because doing so disturbs the beneficial bacteria that u want to grow...i use prime as well and even though ur test gives u 2ppm...its supposed to be in a "non toxic form"... but i think ammo lock is a whole other story...please experts correct me if im wrong...i think the bacteria cant use the ammonia that has been combined with ammo lock...lets see what other minds think...HTH...

The high ammonia levels are coming from having two large messy oscars in a small 55 gallon tank.

Two oscars should be kept in a 100 gallon tank the larger volume will give your oscars more room and help keep the water perameters in check.

Do not use additive chemicals such as Ammo-lock when cycling. It can stall the cycle. Instead, do more frequent water changes. Since you have 2 Oscars in a 55, I'd be doing water changes every day of about 20%. More if this doesn't keep the ammonia down. Do not mess with the filters during this process. Also, don't gravel vac except to pull up fishy waste ontop of the gravel. Test your water every day using a Master Test Kit and do water changes accordingly. Just don't use any chemicals in the tank, except dechlorinator.

If you use prime your ammonia test will still show ammonia even though it is nontoxic form. Seachem recommends use of an ammonia indicator badge wich will measure the amount of free ammonia (toxic). These are great in ADDITION to tests, they are about 4.00 at LFS and stick on the inside of the tank. HTH

More water changes!! Due to the amount of waste produced, continue vacuuming, but do not clean the filter. You should do 50% PWC everyday for the next week and see where the ammonia is then. Is there any nitrite or nitrate readings?

Back
Top Bottom