Hello, New Member Here!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Hholly - Exactly.

Question for anyone with planted tanks that are NOT dirted. I am using Seachem Flourish Tabs, but am wondering if any other supplement is necessary. I am considering dosing with Seachem Flourish Excel, since I have no C02 source and I know Excel will provide this, as well as other nutrients. So what do you think of this plan, to use Seachem Flourish Tabs with Seachem Flourish Excel.

I have 3 Jungle Vals now. I plan to get 2-3 Small Amazon Sword, 1 Sag, some Java Fern for my driftwood, and possibly a Large Amazon Sword to go with my Jungle Val for the background of my tank. Dosing Seachem Excel and the Comprehensive Formula, along with root tabs sounds like a good plan.

Don't know if I have said this, or said it enough, but thank you to everyone who has helped. I would be lost without you guys. You guys are AWESOME!!

Mumma - what plant is all over your driftwood in the 17g Low Tech tank you have? I think it's on most of your driftwood in a number of your tanks as well. Your Gourami looks really nice, and I love both your pleco's. Also I noticed you used a sponge to ease the water flow for your betta, what is holding the sponge in place?

Thanks in advance.

scottb said:
Mumma - what plant is all over your driftwood in the 17g Low Tech tank you have? I think it's on most of your driftwood in a number of your tanks as well. Your Gourami looks really nice, as does your Gourami, and I love both your pleco's. Also I noticed you used a sponge to ease the water flow for your betta, what is holding the sponge in place?

Thanks in advance.
The plant in the 17g is windelov or crested java fern. Super easy to grow and only needs low lighting but can grow under any lights. I have needle leaf java fern in the 8g and normal java fern in the 70g and 10g.
I cut a hole in the side of the sponge and slid it up the intake pipe. Stays put by itself.

Did you have to tie down your java fern to the driftwood?

I have just purchased a marine set up mainly for corals.I can buy sea water from two places.QuestionDoes it matter if I mix the two sea waters?

bump.

Mumma- I think I'm going to use some really thin fishing line, or possibly just some sewing thread, since I have some lying around the house. Can't wait till my driftwood is ready!

scottb said:
bump.

Mumma- I think I'm going to use some really thin fishing line, or possibly just some sewing thread, since I have some lying around the house. Can't wait till my driftwood is ready!

Fishing line will work great :) If the wood is still leeching tannin it's still fine to add to the tank. Unless your water I quite soft (will cause pH to drop slightly) it won't do anything besides turn your water a tea color. The last bit of wood I added to a tank was scrubbed and put through the dishwasher to kill bugs (was collected from creek) then weighed down with slate and chucked in the tank. :) No pre soaking.

Last edited:
I noticed that my submersible heater makes a "clicking" or "knocking" noise when it turns on. Not sure if it happens ALL the time when it's on. Does anyone know what this is?

scottb said:
I noticed that my submersible heater makes a "clicking" or "knocking" noise when it turns on. Not sure if it happens ALL the time when it's on. Does anyone know what this is?

Sort like a 'tick' of a clock? All mine do that when they turn on and off.

so you only hear this noise twice, once when it turns on and once when it turns off? I think mine makes noise while it's on and then stops when it's off. I'm thinking about getting a new heater as a backup though, just in case the one I have decides to stop working on me. Any suggestions on brands/models for my 36g? Something not too expensive.

scottb said:
so you only hear this noise twice, once when it turns on and once when it turns off? I think mine makes noise while it's on and then stops when it's off. I'm thinking about getting a new heater as a backup though, just in case the one I have decides to stop working on me. Any suggestions on brands/models for my 36g? Something not too expensive.

Mmm not too sure that's good. I new heater might be a good idea. I have cheap ones on all my tanks except my 70g. It has a hydor submersible and I love it. Maybe see if you can return the faulty one.

Not sure if it's faulty, or just really noisy haha. It has been maintaining a steady temp. of 85-86F over the past 2 days so I assume it's working fine.

Since I don't want to risk it breaking on me though, I'll probably invest in a new heater in the next couple days or so. I did a bit of research and am leaning towards getting a Eheim Jager for about $30. People seem to have little to no problems with these.

Back
Top Bottom