Help! Algae wafers reappearing!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

sarahsunshine

Aquarium Advice Activist
Proper food question (renamed)

So I have 6 small neon tetras (1") and 5 kuhli (7cm/2.5").

I have been feeding a mini pinch of flakes 1-2x/day for the neons, and breaking up an algae wafer for the kuhlis. I can't find any food after so I figured that was about right. However I have multi-coloured rocks as my substrate so it camouflages pretty well.

Just yesterday I notices a piece of algae wafer with a 1/2" of guck floating around the tank. So I got my net and removed it, as well as another I saw. This morning I found another couple. I wil do a thorough cleaning and PWC.

Obviously I'm feeding too much... I'm just worried that they won't find the wafer pieces.

Do you think 1/2 a wafer is enough? How do I know if it's not enough? Should I not be breaking it up?

Is the guck around the wafer harmful? Do I need to treat the tank, or should a thorough cleaning be enough?

Khuli loaches don't eat algae as much as they do the meaty type of foods. Do a good vacuuming and get as much of the algae wafer out as possible.

Kuhlii Loach

the stuff growing on the wafers is completely normal... i had a couple do that, kind of a white, snotty looking, spider web kind of thing? just get them out of the tank, you might try sinking pellets, those would be better than algae wafers

Khuli loaches don't eat algae as much as they do the meaty type of foods. Do a good vacuuming and get as much of the algae wafer out as possible.

Kuhlii Loach

Hmm, so I got some Hikari Tropical Micro Pellets, and they seem to float just enough that the rasboras go nuts, but none make it to the bottom of the tank for the tetras or kuhlis... At least last night. I also got some freeze-dried bloodworms, but they were still floating this morning so I removed them...

This morning the rasboras weren't interested in food (pellets) and they were still floating after 5 mintes so I skimmed the rest off...

I then decided I'd mash up a piece of shrimp (from the freezer), and dropped a couple tiny pieces in. The Rasboras took off with them, one tetra got some smidges. They sank, which means at least I know there was food available for the tetras and kuhlis, but only one kuhli noticed it that saw...

Should I be worried that they aren't getting any food? I don't want them to starve, but I don't want extra food hanging around the tank!

I almost feel I should have a "food dish" so I can tel if they've eaten or not, and they know where to find it!

The sinking shrimp pellets for bottom feeders should work for them. I use them for our catfish in the 55 and for the gobys in the 80. The other fish eat them too, but as they get picked at they break up. Only down side is the cloud the water. That does clear up in about an hour though with good filtering.

You can also get the sinking bottom feeder wafers, they should be located somewhere arond the algae wafers. Just be sure the bag says bottom feeders.

I wouldn't be to concerned with them not finding it, in the wild they have to forage for food as well :).

+1 for Dragonfish. I also feed my Kuhli's sinking shrimp pellets, and they go bananas. The frozen bloodwormsand brine shrimp will also sink, not like the freeze dried, which floats forever. I got Hikari micro pellets too for the rasboras, and some sneak by them and make it to the bottom so the kuhli's pick those up also.
Don't worry about them finding the food, I am pretty sure they have some good "smellers" on them! Mine find them within seconds.
Good luck!

Well, I have good filtering!!!

I wonder, though. After feeding some shrimp yesterday, the khulis are all hiding... only one showed it's stripes today :(

They've been so active over the past 4-5 days that I can't stop watching the tank. Now it seems so empty...

I would check my water parameters just to be sure none have spiked.

Good idea. I just got back from work and checked nitrites and Ammonia. Nothing.

I can't check nitrates, but I would be very surprised if they have spiked considering I did a huge cleanup of the aquarium and a 70% PWC just 3 days ago!

Maybe the Kuhlis are just getting used to the Harlequins? They are all in hiding now...

Back
Top Bottom