Help Ammonia levels too high

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

LukeJ

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hey

I have a 7G tank with only 1 betta fish

My fish tank Ammonia levels will not decrease unless I do a 100% water change. Also my Ammonia goes from 0 to dark green 8 levels in just 8 hours!

I can't keep doing 100% water changes its stressing my fish out and very time consuming.

What do I do?

Side note. My fish seems to be happy swimming around fine. Although he does has have dark spots which might be ammonia burn.

Ive used two different liquid tests and same readings

Tap water results

Just tested my tap water now and the results are 0.

There is no food waste or general dead things in the tank so I'm not sure why its going to lethal stages so quickly.

I just know he is going to die a unpleasant death and I cannot do anything because it goes from 0 - max while i sleep

Use filter?? It can reduce the amonia a bit and instead of changing the water, cleaning the filter will do. And if it's not yet good, try get a decent lighting and plant some plants to help u keeping your tank clean.

But keeping your filter clean will do (I do not recommend air pump filter since as the main filter since it is less effective than some other filters). I have a 10 gal (or bigger?) Sized tank with 4 buenos aires, 1 lemon (medium sized) lab, and 1 rainbow shark inside it. I use top filter only for it and the result is satisfying. The water stays clear for longer than 2-3 weeks.

Keep in mind to clean the filter every once a week at least and DON'T let the leftover pellets or food inside your tank or else it will increase the amonia lvl

Sent from my vivo Y28 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Back
Top Bottom