HELP! Before they all die!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Aceshot23

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Help! My power went out last night for about 5 min. and I noticed after it came back on that my FLUVAL MSF 304 filter pump was not working. I've tried to clean it all, emptied the water out of the filter, pumping it with the (plunger type) gadget??? What can I do? Do I have to buy a new one? :(

might buy a cheapie til you can get your good one fixed, that way they at least have something. If you do that though, don't forget to use your existing pads, don't want to cause a minicycle :)

Hope you can fix the good one though ;)

Try plugging the filter into another outlet to see if it's actually the filter. Maybe you blew a breaker on the plug that the filter is normally on. Did you make sure to prime it again? If the filter's not working, and if you have to get a new one, float your media in the tank or in a bucket of tank water - don't let it dry out!

PS. Welcome to AA! :multi:

I never had a Fluval so this might just be a stab in the dark:

Try to figure out if it is electrical or mechanical -

Eliminate electrical by -
Trying a different outlet as An t-iasg suggested.
listening for humming or other signs of life.
checking the fuse in your filter, powerbar, GFI, house circuits.

Check for mechanical problems -
Disassemble everything, including the impeller assembly to make sure nothing is stuck in the impeller or blocking the water flow.
Any valves left closed? anything got sucked into your input or output hose? Disassemble all hoses & connectors to make sure free water path.
Remove all media/baskets (keep wet) - try running the filter empty - see if pump works.

Good luck!

had a filter die recently, but all it needed was the old "Fonzie" tap on the top trick and it worked again.

Back
Top Bottom