HELP! Cinder block natural pond build HELP!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

KeeshyRee

Aquarium Advice Freak
Ok guys I'm wanting to build something like this. I'm wanting it to be 4'-4 1/2' at the deep part and would like a beach entrance for my baby ducks. I have the blocks and a pool pump plus sand filter I was given. I'm going to use to power my water fall. Problem I'm on a very tight budget, and I have no clue what I'm doing. Any advice would be great!

Sent from my SCH-R760X using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Attachments

• 1399527608264.jpg
    1399527608264.jpg
    79.4 KB · Views: 440
  • 1399527661203.jpg
    1399527661203.jpg
    40.2 KB · Views: 148
  • 1399527680211.jpg
    1399527680211.jpg
    121.8 KB · Views: 139
Those pictures are of a beautiful (and VERY expensive) ponds! So, this means you need to start planning before considering anything. "Very tight budget" and ponds do not fit together very well, unfortunately. Can you DIY a pond less expensively than hiring someone? Yes!!

Ok, lets start with some things to consider.

Climate- Do you live in a temperate area where temps never drop to freezing or below or a seasonal area? Very important to have plans for how to handle winters/freezing temps.

Location- Do you have an area to locate the pond that is not near trees (roots make things VERY difficult) or large rocks or area that floods?

Digging- How do plan on excavating the pond? Where do plan on putting the dirt? Are you familiar with your locale's dig laws as well as underground utilities?

Electric- Permits (and possibly contractor) are necessary for installing grounded electric service to the pond area.

Water- Do you have a source of water for filling and doing wcs? A plan for draining water? Plan for excess water in the event of heavy rain and where this water will go?

Base- Do you plan on a using a liner? Clay? Concrete? Something else?

Just basics to consider before even getting started! Please ask any and all questions as it may seem a bit daunting at first but if you plan accordingly, things are easier than they appear! :)

I'm in southern IL so yes it will freeze. I'm in a rural area worth no zoning laws and there is nothing around that side of my house so should be good. I have a water hose that will reach to fill it and I plan to make a big area that will double as over flow.

Bog area to double as overflow sorry. I think I'm going to use a liner plus concrete blocks. I really want the concrete blocks to be what you see on the inside of the pond, so hole liner blocks. I'm not sure if this will work or no though? The dirt I will be moving to low spots in my five acre yard. This is a steak out of my plan. the square in the middle of a 10 foot by 10 foot by 4 foot. with part of one side being left open to form the beach type intrance.

Forgot pics

Attachments

• 1399581237539.jpg
    1399581237539.jpg
    54 KB · Views: 112
  • 1399581256381.jpg
    1399581256381.jpg
    127.7 KB · Views: 103
  • 1399581298299.jpg
    1399581298299.jpg
    116.3 KB · Views: 113
  • 1399581319003.jpg
    1399581319003.jpg
    116.6 KB · Views: 112
Heres a basic how to on the building.

http://m.wikihow.com/Build-a-Backyard-Pond

Have never used a sand filter on my koi pond. Was always afraid it would clog to easily or i would not get proper nitrogen cycle bacteria to colonise inside and if i did how id keep them there during a filter cleaning.

Others may have better experience with them.

I personally use a multistage pond filter. Has 3 filter discs of varying permeability on top of 4 gallons of bio balls. Allows me to clean or replace one part and leave the others with bacteria intact.

I also use a uv steriliser to keep the water clean of filament algae.(for my viewing pleasure not really for the fish lol)

I never used sand either. My guess knowing how dirty pond fish are and the amount of debris that gets into a pond, I think it would not be an effective means of filtration. I think it would prove next to impossible to keep clean and running efficiently (if at all). Sand filters designed for pools are a completely different situation than a pond environment.

If you have a powerful pump, you can build your own filter using a 55g water drum easily and inexpensively.

I do have a powerful pump but no idea how to build the filter.

Thanks!

Was a long day didnt have time to draw my own but found this online so will use it to explain lol.ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1399779540.638991.jpg

I have common pvc plumbing gaskets on the top slightly larger than the tubing that comes from my pump allows me to attach a reducing coupling.

The spray bar is a standard pvc pipe with holes drilled along it.

I personally do not use any carbon.

I keep some on hand in case of some chemical going into the pond.

You can buy online filter media of any size and cut to size. Or use something that matches an available size.

First filter is like a pre filter catches large debris like leaves.

Next is a finer sponge.

Next is an even finer sponge.

Next is a micron filter pad.

Last is my layer of bio balls.

Now another pvc plumbing gasket for my out.

Keys to remember pressure builds on the filter system each time you reduce outflow.... So try to keep your outflow at least as large as the intake.

Buy a bacteria starter from local pet store. Also a dechlorinator.

When cleaning filter media always use pond water not tap water.

They also sell many good pond filters on amazon that are not badly priced just stay away from submersible ones, they dont work well and a pain to clean.

Was a long day didnt have time to draw my own but found this online so will use it to explain lol.

I have common pvc plumbing gaskets on the top slightly larger than the tubing that comes from my pump allows me to attach a reducing coupling.

The spray bar is a standard pvc pipe with holes drilled along it.

I personally do not use any carbon.

I keep some on hand in case of some chemical going into the pond.

You can buy online filter media of any size and cut to size. Or use something that matches an available size.

First filter is like a pre filter catches large debris like leaves.

Next is a finer sponge.

Next is an even finer sponge.

Next is a micron filter pad.

Last is my layer of bio balls.

Now another pvc plumbing gasket for my out.

Keys to remember pressure builds on the filter system each time you reduce outflow.... So try to keep your outflow at least as large as the intake.

Buy a bacteria starter from local pet store. Also a dechlorinator.

When cleaning filter media always use pond water not tap water.

They also sell many good pond filters on amazon that are not badly priced just stay away from submersible ones, they dont work well and a pain to clean.

Great job with the diagram! Similar setup here but water is pvc'd into the top of the barrel, runs down pvc pipe inside to the bottom to a spray box then outflows through three ports on top. So, water flows up through the media in the barrel rather than down. There's also an additional drain pipe with a shutoff valve on the bottom side of the barrel to drain the pond as needed for wcs and media cleaning.

Depending on the hp of your pump, you will need to be careful with outflow pipe out of the barrel. The outflow pipe should be a larger diameter than the inflow pipe to prevent overflow out of the barrel. Or have multiple outflow pipes. The drain valve on the barrel is really handy, too.

Awesome! Thanks guys

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom