Help! Corydoras' are laying eggs

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Cleggat

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Well, I have two corydoras', that have started laying eggs
63254_186563824689931_100000089438621_681659_6850389_n.jpg

They're only about 18 hours old in this picture and I have put them in a separate bowl to prevent the other fish from eating them. But I was curious if they looked as if they'd turn into fry, I have about 16 of them, and the mother started laying on late Christmas eve (the shops are all shut now, and tomorrow)
so I can't get java moss and micro worms etc at the moment, but I've heard they take a few days to hatch so I should have them in time :) if needed I can take more pictures tomorrow of them if you can't really tell at this stage, thanks for reading!

Now that they're 24hrs+ little black dots are appearing inside the eggs and they're turning even yellower

Now 2 days on, they've been moved to a bigger container
156750_186907491322231_100000089438621_685266_327723_n.jpg

162600_186907751322205_100000089438621_685267_5517598_n.jpg

Last edited:
The problem with fungus on the eggs is that there's no circulation in this container. You may have to change the water periodically if they're staying in this bowl for an extended time, preferably with warm water (at or near the temp of the parent tank). The eggs should be firming up and will normally take about 4 days minimum to hatch. Keep us posted.

Ah, right thanks, I held the container over a light and in a few of the eggs a brown shape with a black dot can be seen, which I'm hoping is the fry.

They eggs are now 3 days old, but I only have four as I removed the ones with fungus..

Unfortunately I removed the last four eggs this morning, as they had caught the fungus, so anyone thinking about breeding corys should get Methyl Blue or something similar to help prevent this.

The Corydoras' laid another 43 eggs yesterday night, although we got 30 out of the tank away from the other fish. So we went out and got Methyl Blue today and put the dose in, we now have a tub of blue water.. Hopefully they'll make it this time. The eggs look the same as last time, I also seen the Corydoras' in the 'T'.

Cleggat

Methelin Blue will help in regards to preventing fungus to a degree ...

I would also suggest a pump and an airstone to keep water circulating. One of the reasons why some eggs dont hatch is due to water currents. I learned this when artificially hatching angelfish back in the 70s ...

Yeah we have an airstone :) but not an extra pump :/

3 days old now and they're looking good, fingers crossed for tomorrow :)

I looked at the eggs a few hours ago and instead of being able to see the little black shape inside as normal... A few were blurry, when I get back home I'll see if any have hatched.

Well, I removed the eggs today, they were beginning to get fuzzy... So I'm giving up on any eggs for now.

It sounds like you have some active egg layers, so you should have more chances... I'd still favor circulation over the chemical approach. Is there a piece of decor in the main tank that you could hide the eggs in, something with an opening for just enough flow to keep them from fuzzing up?

Back
Top Bottom