Help!!! Im losing fish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

hylywytt

Aquarium Advice Regular
tested my tank 3 day and everything was fine nothing out of whack did a 25% water change 2days ago and now my nitrite is threw the roof and my amonia is 0

Your Tank

tested my tank 3 day and everything was fine nothing out of whack did a 25% water change 2days ago and now my nitrite is threw the roof and my amonia is 0

Hello hy...

Since I don't know the specifics of your tank, I'll give you a couple of suggestions. If you're cycling the tank, you must monitor the water chemistry every day and if your test shows a trace of ammonia or nitrite, you change 25 percent of the tank water to get the chemistry back into the "safe zone" for the fish.

Established tanks need a 50 percent water change weekly, regardless of how many fish you have in the tank. The reason is, by removing and replacing large amounts of tank water weekly, there's no time for toxins to build up in the tank water before the next large change. The large water change, weekly, will guarantee stable water properties.

Hope this is helpful.

B

The amoina has always been high in my tank and now its zero and the tank has been up for 3months

Sounds like you're hitting the second stage of the cycle. Ammonia has dropped, and the second bacteria colony that converts nitrites into nitrates isn't established yet. Keep on top of water changes, and you can use Prime as a water conditioner as well as to detoxify the nitrites. Once you see the nitrites drop, and you see some nitrates, the cycle will be completed.

Water Chemistry

The amoina has always been high in my tank and now its zero and the tank has been up for 3months

Hello again hy...

Start an aggressive water change routine this week. Remove and replace half the water in the tank every 3 to 4 days days for the next few weeks, no slacking. Afterward, every 7 days for as long as you have the tank up and running. The water change is by far the most important thing you can do for the general health of your tank.

I'd go a step further, and get some stem plants floating. The best, IMO are Anacharis (Waterweed) and Pennywort. These two thrive in water with higher nitrogen levels. They'll help keep the water properties stable.

B

Ok I just went and got 2moss balls and 2bundles(3per bundle) of water westira

Back
Top Bottom