Help in advice and experience

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Lay6488

Aquarium Advice Regular
I have been doing a lot of research and still doing some but I am seeking experienced advice as to what type of stones and wood for tank? we are leaning towards dwarf mbunas not specific yet as tank still is cycling don't want to rush process also looking into what types of plants to put in tank
I have seen on eBay cichlid stones ceramic cave rocks are these good?

If you are doing a mbuna tank, you are best to avoid driftwood. Decaying wood can cause a drop in pH, and mbuna prefer a higher pH. In regards to the rocks it is really more a matter of what you prefer and what you want to spend. I've seen cichlid tanks scaped with river rock, slate, ceramic cichlid rocks, the lava looking rocks you buy a the LFS with holes drilled in them and Ocean rock. All work fine. Check out your local garden center for cheaper rock and do a simple vinegar test on it.

As Wy Renegade said, it's primarily what you prefer (although the driftwood is something that you should still avoid, otherwise you'll have to buffer your pH more). Another good place to look for rocks for your aquascape are landscaping companies, they'll usually have good prices on the more natural looking rocks (sandstone, yorkstone, ect) if that's what your after.

Thank you all I will start looking into that what about plants what do they like that are easy light plants as guy at store said we don't have right type been though different guy at same store sold it to us we have 48" Elive led pod light right now with 2 blue pods 8 white pods light can store 21 pods

Plants and mbunas don't really mix lol (especially if you're getting a specie that is a herbivore). In my experience, they either ate everything, or ripped them to shreds.

Ok got it thanks also did we make wrong purchase guy at lfs sold us
Eco-Complete Planted Aquarium Substrate
Said it's perfect for cichlids and was what they use instead of sand
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1393009217.578625.jpg

The substrate grains look pretty big, if you're going the mbuna route, I'd recommend some finer grain substrate since they really enjoy digging. If you enjoy that look though, then by all means just keep it.

I do like the look but it's more important that fish don't get scraped and scarred want the best environment for them will this substrate be better for any other type of cichlids?

No idea, my experience is primarily with mbunas, so someone else can probably chime in on other species.

I hope so thank you very much! Do u have pic of ur tank? I'd love to see what it looks like

it is definitely not the substrate I would use for a cichlid tank, given how expensive it is. As was previously stated with mbuna you are not likely to have any plants, so why pay the extra for a substrate designed for a planted tank? If you are interested in sand, I would look into aragonite sand. Gravel works just as well as sand with mbuna.

In regards to the tank, I see we haven't asked yet, so what size of tank are you setting up?

It is a 90 gallon and we have already boughten this substrate and it's in tank instead of removing it you think I can get away with adding sand on top of it? Or just try and remove it?
20 lb bag was 31.99...

If they'll allow you to return it then I would just siphon it out. Like Wy said, it's awfully expensive when you're not really going to have plants to begin with.

They won't return so beside buying new how can I salvage this bad purchase?

Well since this LFS was kind of mixed up when it came to buying your LED light and if they recommended this substrate for a mbuna tank, then I'd maybe look elsewhere for your cichlid needs. You could try selling it on Craigslist for a little cheaper than what you bought it for, but really you could just keep it and see what other options you have for cichlids. If you're wanting to stick to mbuna, the fish won't be able to dig as easily, but it won't kill them either so you're fine.

Well good thing is tank is cycling and there is no fish involved yet so I will still do research but if I choose to stick with this substrate is there a different species that will do better with this type I'm not so worried about planting with this substrate as I am making sure fish like it and won't get hurt
and price it's already paid for so stuck for now
Still deciding what type to put in tank

That substrate is fine, the only thing was the price, which you didn't really need to pay that much for a substrate that's beneficial to plants. I've seen plenty of tanks that have bigger sized gravel in a mbuna tank, so if it works for these little guys, you shouldn't have too big of an issue with the larger species of cichlids.

(Although a friend of mine had a White Top Hara and a larger sized gravel got stuck in his mouth that he couldn't spit back out until like 2 days later, so it's always a possibility.)

Back
Top Bottom