Help! just getting started

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

madrhy

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
We have a very well established 42 ish (160L) freshwater planted tank that pretty much looks after itself and we're looking for a new project :) we have a few small tanks, one is a 15ishG on a stand which I would love to turn into a small saltwater setup. What do you think are the minimum requirements in terms of filtration and "equipment" and where do we start?

Lauren.

Filter I would go with a 70 or 110 aquaclear turned into a fuge.

Most important pieces of equipment for any saltwater tank is a refractometer and a test kit you can use the same test kit. If you use a test kit now you can use the same one Downloads; Pump and filter Instructions, Test Kit charts you will need to get a different ph kit. On anything smaller than a 30 gallon one thing that is nice to have is an ATO (automatic top off).

Do you plan on a reef? If not any good light will work a reef a reasonable priced one is from fish need it;lights; food;Sponge

You can go with base rock if you want to start without any hitchikers or you can go the craigslist and local forums for the best buys.

Heater if you live in a colder part I have heaters only as back ups most of the time they aren't plugged in even.

Most important thing you can do is take time research and ask questions.

hi :)
What is a fuge??
We live in Australia. For lights I think we're all good, we have that planted tank in a window and it is growing like mad.There are lights but both bulbs have blown, so no worries there. We have a heater, not sure we need it at this time of year (coming in to summer, it was 32ish degrees CELCIUS the other day, heading that way and more regularly). We have a pretty good local shop we will will vist but wondering if there is any different advice from here. "Base rock" I am not sure about, craigslist not an option (obviously on this side if the world) is this live rock? or... how would I recognise it?. Obviously I know nothing, my Dad always had big saltwater tanks but I knew nothing about them and I want to do it right. Research and questions will definitely be happening :) Thank you so much for you help!

Live rock is rock (Often from the ocean, but also often aquacultured) which among other things is already seeded with biological filter organisims. Base rock is the right KIND of rock for a tank, but not "live". You can buy some live rock, and some base rock (Call it 20/80 live to base) and while cycling the tank the base rock will become effectively alive (And if you get live rock with the pretty coraline on it, that will spread over the next few months.) Base rock is just, generally, cheaper.

Also, while your fixture might work fine (I'm not sure what kind it is, you didn't say) you might want different bulbs.

Back
Top Bottom