Help me identify this fish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Krayzie

Aquarium Advice Regular
I am pretty sure it is a pleco, but I need specifics. I am trying to stock my gf's works 26 gallon tank. She said this fish has been in there for over 2 years and he is only 4 inches. I thought a 3 year old pleco would be over 12".

11gm1ys.jpg

That looks like a common plec to me, and it does seem like it should be bigger. My guess is the tank is stunting its growth.

Try looking at planetcatfish, they have tons of pics of all sorts of catfish, plecs included. There are one or maybe two types that do not get huge, but I am not sure which ones they are or which one you have.

So many plecs only have numbers, rather than common names.. and more are being found all the time, and not yet IDd..so good luck.

I used to keep common plecs when I was in my teens, in a 30G tank. By two years, they'd be 7 or 8 inches and I'd trade them to the local fish shop for other fish and another plec. They were the only plecs around at the time.. so if he is a common plec, he's either stunted or a runt.

That looks like a common plec to me, and it does seem like it should be bigger. My guess is the tank is stunting its growth.

If it is a common pleco, should I take it out? IDK what I would do with it tho.

Id try to give it back to a fish store. It needs a way bigger tank, and has a huge bioload and its not worth keeping. If you need an algae eater i'd suggest getting an otocinclus.

You might be able to trade it in at a local fish store, but if it IS a common plec, be prepared for them to say no. There is not much demand for these fish now, not only because they get so large, but also because there are so many much more decorative species around that are nicer to have.

You might try a Kijiji ad or Craigslist, likely you would have to offer it free to a good home, I doubt many will pay much for a common plec.

If all else fails and you cannot rehome it, don't release it. Euthanize it, if that's the only choice left, rather than turn it loose and hope for the best.

Edit- if you decide to get Otos, they need a group of their own kind to do well. Six or so is best, and they are highly prone to dying within the first weeks, up to the first two months. It is due to the way they are caught and starved, which kills off the gut bacteria they rely on to digest their algae based diet. Lovely fish, I'm very, very fond of them but best to be aware of the issues.

If you buy them, they should have been in the store for no less than a week, preferably two weeks, and buy the ones you see eating the food in the store if at all possible. They sometimes don't take to man made food, it is so very different from what they were eating before they were caught. They are all wild caught, unless you are very lucky to run across some locally tank bred specimens, in which case buy them, they'll be great.

Id try to give it back to a fish store. It needs a way bigger tank, and has a huge bioload and its not worth keeping. If you need an algae eater i'd suggest getting an otocinclus.

The thing is someone from her work had it for 2 years, and put it in the tank about a year ago. I have no idea where it came from.

You might be able to trade it in at a local fish store, but if it IS a common plec, be prepared for them to say no. There is not much demand for these fish now, not only because they get so large, but also because there are so many much more decorative species around that are nicer to have.

You might try a Kijiji ad or Craigslist, likely you would have to offer it free to a good home, I doubt many will pay much for a common plec.

If all else fails and you cannot rehome it, don't release it. Euthanize it, if that's the only choice left, rather than turn it loose and hope for the best.
I do have some clove bud oil. Maybe I should.

Back
Top Bottom