Help me start a new tank.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Iol well yeah ill try to. They are hard little **** to photo though. Theyre cute youre right. I wanted rosy tetra. Theyre so pretty also, but wanted these too and because my tank is new i thought id go with the hardier tetra first to let my freshly cycled tank settle.

molliwopp said:
Do male bettas fight any fish or only other bettas?

They can pick on other fish with big flowing tails like male guppies or similar. I've kept them in communities with tetras and rainbows. It's more likely that something will pick on the betta than anything. They will eat small shrimp so if you plan on adding any I'd stay away from bettas but otherwise they're very good to add in a community.

Right well ive decided to stop using my airstone. It makes the water cloudy and i imagine my fish prefer it off. It must send some destressing vibrations through the water, when in put my ear against the tan it sounds loud. My fish will of thanked me for it.

Ive added 6 pristella tetra. Lovly little fish, hardy too. Just saw one one those little critters but only for a second... It got munched by one of the tetra lol. I decided against danios they started to get boring when id visit my LFS.

Wow ive not seen them,post a pic please if thts ok :)

Right well ive decided to stop using my airstone. It makes the water cloudy and i imagine my fish prefer it off. It must send some destressing vibrations through the water, when in put my ear against the tan it sounds loud. My fish will of thanked me for it.

Have you something else though for water agitation.because you need some for aeration,oxygenation,most community fish dont mind bubbles,when i used to have tetras they are timid but sometime they swam in bubbles,i didn't have an airstone i have a venturi.on my filter which you can turn bubbles on and off or have more bubblea or slight bubbles if i want them :)

Have you something else though for water agitation.because you need some for aeration,oxygenation,most community fish dont mind bubbles,when i used to have tetras they are timid but sometime they swam in bubbles,i didn't have an airstone i have a venturi.on my filter which you can turn bubbles on and off or have more bubblea or slight bubbles if i want them :)

Ive changed mine tho to a gentle.flow as im wanting a Betta

Last edited by a moderator:
Sorry I haven't checked in yet. Just wanted to say congrats on finishing your cycle and on getting your first fish.

Everything is going great. Ammonia is reading 0 as is nitrite. Nitrate is barely even readable also:) plants are doing their job well and they are growing quickly! Im going to add some more fish this weekend. And my lfs has some loverly rosy tetra that i had my eye on last time i was in there. Ill be sure to check the water every other day after theyve been added.

As for my airstone, my filter kicks out a good water jet and agitates the water well and sends a nice current around the tank. Ill get some pictures up when i can. Everything is going to plan. And the pristella tetra have settled in really well, wish id got a few more gallons to play with though lol, But thats life and it had to happen.

Everything is going great. Ammonia is reading 0 as is nitrite. Nitrate is barely even readable also:) plants are doing their job well and they are growing quickly! Im going to add some more fish this weekend. And my lfs has some loverly rosy tetra that i had my eye on last time i was in there. Ill be sure to check the water every other day after theyve been added.

As for my airstone, my filter kicks out a good water jet and agitates the water well and sends a nice current around the tank. Ill get some pictures up when i can. Everything is going to plan. And the pristella tetra have settled in really well, wish id got a few more gallons to play with though lol, But thats life and it had to happen.

Brilliant news,we would love to see a pic,well.i only have a 10 gallon and i always thought i could of gone bigger but space wise,i could maybe swap for a 20 gallon one day but im.happy with mine for now,you have more to play with than me,good luck isnt.it great though to get your 1st fish :)

Well i got my rosy this morning! Theyre sooo beautiful, but when i added them they were rather alittle too bossy lol!!. I was worried and felt quite sorry for the pristella who are soo timid. The rosy were in a territory based tank and were probably used to fighting for food, the aggression has all disappeared:) everyones just teating and working eachother out. Now theyre happier tankmates.

Well i got my rosy this morning! Theyre sooo beautiful, but when i added them they were rather alittle too bossy lol!!. I was worried and felt quite sorry for the pristella who are soo timid. The rosy were in a territory based tank and were probably used to fighting for food, the aggression has all disappeared:) everyones just teating and working eachother out. Now theyre happier tankmates.

Thats great to hear and you have the fish now you want,well done you got there and gave your fish a good start,its so worth it isnt it :)

Im close to taking these rosys back. They are continuously sizing each other up. They are not peaceful fish at all. All except 1 is intent on fighting. They are stopping other fish even getting near them! Only 1 out of 6 is relaxed. The biggest rosy chases any fiah that comes 15cm close to him! If rosy tetra are community fish, mine definitely arnt.

Im close to taking these rosys back. They are continuously sizing each other up. They are not peaceful fish at all. All except 1 is intent on fighting. They are stopping other fish even getting near them! Only 1 out of 6 is relaxed. The biggest rosy chases any fiah that comes 15cm close to him! If rosy tetra are community fish, mine definitely arnt.

Oh dear,they sound v.territorial some types of fish,maybe they will settle down,its always best to read about fish see what they are or not compatible with especially in a smallish tank.
www.seriouslyfish.com is a great fish profile site amongst others :)

Lol trust me... I do my research.. Ive had 4weeks remember and have read everything on my fish 3 or 4 times over.

Theres 2 rosy intent on trouble.

Lol trust me... I do my research.. Ive had 4weeks remember and have read everything on my fish 3 or 4 times over.

Theres 2 rosy intent on trouble.

Ahhh right sorry hun,i didn't realise,i do same as you lol,ive been reading up loads on Betta fish because thats what im getting soon,waa going be last week but after tanks re-cycled i have a little ammonia spike !!! :-/
But its to do with my ph,is too low so had advice to put a small amount of crushed coral in a nylon to help stabilise it,waiting of it coming phew this water lark eh !!! Hope your tetras settle once they have established territories

molliwopp said:

What are you thinking of swapping them for? I've always had peace with cherry barbs as far as barbs go. Gotta love tetras for their friendly demeanor. I'm thinking of looking into glass catfish at the moment.

Ahhh right sorry hun,i didn't realise,i do same as you lol,ive been reading up loads on Betta fish because thats what im getting soon,waa going be last week but after tanks re-cycled i have a little ammonia spike !!! :-/
But its to do with my ph,is too low so had advice to put a small amount of crushed coral in a nylon to help stabilise it,waiting of it coming phew this water lark eh !!! Hope your tetras settle once they have established territories

Dont have to say sorry, i didnt mean it to sound arsey:) i think they will calm down. Ill give it afew days, if they weren't so gorgeous they'd already be gone. We shall seeee.

If i were to swap them it would be for lemon tetra i think.

My pristella are spawned but the eggs get eaten:( i dont really want more tetra anyway because i have enough and my tank isnt big enough for anymore. Its still upsetting though.

Dont have to say sorry, i didnt mean it to sound arsey:) i think they will calm down. Ill give it afew days, if they weren't so gorgeous they'd already be gone. We shall seeee.

If i were to swap them it would be for lemon tetra i think.

Hey don't worry about it :),i didn't sound arsey lol,just didn't realise ya read up like i do a lot don't,its easy too i think when you go to lfs,im like a kid in a candy store ha ha lol ;-)

Back
Top Bottom