Help Moving my cichlids

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MbunaMike

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I am moving to Tampa at the end off the month...it's a 16 hour ride...any suggestion on how to transport my Mbuna?

If it was me, I would use Kordon Breather Bags. the main reason for that as opposed to other methods which will work for a short 16 hour trip, is that with the breather bags, taking care of the fish when you arrive doesn't need to be a priority. It can wait a day or two.

BillD said:
If it was me, I would use Kordon Breather Bags. the main reason for that as opposed to other methods which will work for a short 16 hour trip, is that with the breather bags, taking care of the fish when you arrive doesn't need to be a priority. It can wait a day or two.

Thanks

A friend of mine moved his fish 2 hours in a couple of 5g buckets with airlines and heaters and they all made it.

I personally havnt done this move but I took his idea and have done it a few time when changing substrate from gravel to sand and replace a 55g with a 100g in the same spot. They did well for 5 hours as I took down the tank moved it, placed the 100g in the same spot and set it up.

Mark388 said:
A friend of mine moved his fish 2 hours in a couple of 5g buckets with airlines and heaters and they all made it.

I personally havnt done this move but I took his idea and have done it a few time when changing substrate from gravel to sand and replace a 55g with a 100g in the same spot. They did well for 5 hours as I took down the tank moved it, placed the 100g in the same spot and set it up.

It's a 16 hrs ride though...PA to Florida

I'd use 5 gallon buckets (or totes) with lids, and a battery-powered air pump for each one to keep the water aerated. Definitely no food for a few days before the move, and keep your biomedia damp but not completely submerged in water as well. How many fish, and how big are they?

16 hours isn't much. Ive helped people move tanks across the country.

Just like said earlier. The easiest way is with kordon bags. If you can't get them then just do the bucket trick. If you have an inverter in your car save the money on a battery operated one. If not 16 hours isn't really gonna new air. As you drive and the water sloshes around plenty of air will be trapped in the water.

Back
Top Bottom