Help!! MTS is striking again!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

newfound77951

Aquarium Advice Addict
...and I don't mean that I am being attacked by Malaysian Trumpet Snails, although that might be an easier problem to solve.

So I recently bought a 55 gal as an "upgrade" from my 30 gal. I wanted to do live plants, and the 30 had a stock canopy and regular gravel so I figured if I was going to have to rip the whole thing apart I might as well just start from scratch.... well, the 30 was supposed to go back to my parents' house for storage, as I live in an apartment and don't have room for it. But I haven't managed to get it out of there yet....it's just sitting and looking empty.....I keep seeing all these cool fish and plants that I can't fit into the 55.....

You can guess my problem. I realize that I am preaching to the choir here, but I thought it might be entertaining to hear how other people talked themselves into or out of additional tanks. Maybe it will keep me distracted long enough to not set it up until my parents come to visit again and take it away!

one way to convince yourself to set it up is to just go out and buy the fish you want. Put em in the 55 then realize it is overstocked. So you must do what any responsible person would... set up another tank :)

I will refer you to the psychatrist that Jchillin referred to me. Though I must warn you it didn't work. I will be getting #11 today! Dr. Ivana Phistank. :lach:

I did what tbonem91 suggested many times. Sometimes not realizing the fish were not compatible (I love LFS employees :roll:). I knew I was in trouble when I had acquired 13 tanks; 5 to 80 gallons. Honestly, they were becoming a chore and we couldn’t turn on the microwave without turning off a few heaters or the circuit would go :oops: Before we returned to the US from Canada, I put many fish and lots of equipment up for auction through the local aquarium society (I am also blaming them for my problematic MTS). After the move, we still had 6 tanks 10-80 gallons and before the baby comes, we will be down to our largest tanks— 46, 50 and 80. Truthfully, there is simply no room for a baby and the many items that come with said baby and the tanks.
I wish Toirtis was able to post, as his sig stated, he was a “Polypterid/Primitive Fish/Ctenopoma/Catfish Fanatic” with “65 Aquariums, 2200+ total gallons, Aquarist since 1971.” He won most every fish competition the Calgary Aquarium Society had—he was hard to beat since no one else kept enough fish for all the categories! I hate to say this, but some of my fish were purchased specifically to enter against Toirtis. I had plenty of tanks and quite a few made the move with us.
newfound77951, you are certainly among friends here. Believe me when I tell you that two tanks in a smallish apartment is perfectly normal :biglol:

newfound77951 said:
I realize that I am preaching to the choir here, but I thought it might be entertaining to hear how other people talked themselves into or out of additional tanks.

Get married.... that solved my MTS :D

Pretty much, I just look at my house, and design a fish tank or two around that. All I have room for is 2 tanks.... not because I can't fit more, but it would overwhelm the decorating. I would rather dedicate my time to two tanks, then be managing 8-10. I don't know how some of these Aquarium Addicts (AA) do it!!! Props to them. That being said... with my busy life and schedule, and all my stuff I have to do... if I can keep 2 tanks.... you can too! :D Go get some sand and starter up baby!!

Zagz said:
I will refer you to the psychatrist that Jchillin referred to me... Dr. Ivana Phistank.

You will get a lot of differing opinions but my job is to help an aquarist who is suffering from this very real condition. Dr. Phishtank is world re-known and has a 10 step program. Zagz obviously skipped several of these sessions. :D

My story? I had no room for an additional tank, especially not a 75 gal. as I reside in an apartment as well. Constant measuring of footprints revealed that there was room, if I shoved my 30 gal next to the wall unit. Ahhh, tank #2 was doable. Tank #3 is still under consideration and I will be seeing Dr. Phishtank soon. It has been suggested that I can do without living room furniture.

Jchillin said:
It has been suggested that I can do without living room furniture.
With tanks like yours... who needs a TV?

:D

If you don't come online ever again... at least we know it was for a good cause....... ditching the computer for your #4 tank ;)

Andyvette said:
Jchillin said:
It has been suggested that I can do without living room furniture.
With tanks like yours... who needs a TV?

:D

If you don't come online ever again... at least we know it was for a good cause....... ditching the computer for your #4 tank ;)

Hay! Just because I took the TV out of my bedroom so I would have room to put anther fish tank in my apartment is no reason to be mean. And yes I do watch my fish more then my TV at this point, so it was likely an upgrade to the entertainment in my room.

Personally I gave up on talking my self out of buying more fish tanks..... I currently maintain 5 tanks.

2x 55G
2x 10G
1X 5G Hex

and a 75G empty in storage...

OK, so help me with options. I guess space isn't really an issue, since the tank is sitting right where it always was, and the 55 g is in there too. The really big issue is $$$. Of course, now that I have a planted tank, i don't want to go back to the cheapo strip light with plastic plants look.
Btw, this is a 30 long (36x12x15) with an AC 70 for a filter (a little big, I know, it was left over from an old 45). It has the standard 20 watt strip, and 50 lbs of plain old pet store gravel (~5mm)

Option 1: do a small cichlid tank, shell dwellers, maybe? That would allow me to keep the current gravel and light, rocks are free. Might be a nice contrast to the planted tank.

Option 2: go to a low-med light tank, low enough that I don't really need CO2....that would be about 2 wpg? (I'm so stuck in super-high-light land with the 55 that I forget what low light levels are!) Keep the gravel and either add laterite or root tabs (opinions?) to it to help the plants out. Grow things like java fern, anubias, crypts maybe. More fish options this way. Maybe a big school of tetras, maybe some small SA cichlids

Option 3: You tell me?? Let's hear some ideas!

Dude, looka t my siggie for a great idea. I have lots of plants in my 29 and I have only a twin tube NO fluorescent with 2 x 20 watt bulbs (1.36 wpg) I'm growing stuff like crazy even anacharis, bacop carolina, amazon sword.......crazy stuff that shouldn't work in that low light. I'm not doing CO2 either, just Flourish Excel. All my fish are doing fantastic.

I do like the shellie idea though!

a 30 long is a nice tank to work with, I say spend a few bucks for better gravel, perhaps some echo-complete. And go with a long neon-tetra tank highly planted with lots of low plants like micro swords or the likes, get some plants that will really add some color to it. And perhaps a huge chunk of drift wood, something large enough to set the lay of the tank but still give the fishies room to swim.

16-20 tetras and maybe a CAE.

Good luck.

Only true cure for MTS is to have three more tanks than your home can hold. With three tanks in storage, unused, you will no longer have the urge to go out and buy another tank. A new, larger home perhaps..........

TomK2 said:
Only true cure for MTS is to have three more tanks than your home can hold. With three tanks in storage, unused, you will no longer have the urge to go out and buy another tank. A new, larger home perhaps..........

Just put one into storage and put the house on the market. LOL

Bill you mean I was supposed to attend Dr. Phistank's sessions 1 through 10? 8O :lol:

Can't help much on this one man, I just got a new 25g today. I too live in an apt, have 2-10g, 1-5g (this is the one getting the upgrade), 1-5g bow on my desk, and the 46g bow my hubby got me for my birthday. :) ALL are in the livingroom! And I have a 30 long in storage in the back room. Oh oh, and my tiny lobster tank*which needs an upgrade, he just molted today* and the bichir quarantine tank, they need a bigger home now too... And I've been dreaming and pricing for a month now the 26 bow to replace one of the 10g... Oh NO.
Also, I have already thought to use the new tank for the bichirs, but my goldfish in the 5g Really needs a bigger home. And I found this 30Lx15Hx12D just for them, it will look sweet on top of the entertainment center. Then when I don't want to watch what everyone else is.... I can just watch the fish and no one is the wiser. :) he he he....

Zagz said:
Bill you mean I was supposed to attend Dr. Phistank's sessions 1 through 10?

That was included in the fine print at the bottom...guess you missed it. :D

Newfound - I like the idea of shellies, but a 30 is best suited for a low-light tank. You don't even need eco, just plain pea-sized gravel. My advice would be totally different if you didn't already have the tank however. :D

My advice would be totally different if you didn't already have the tank however.

Ha ha....yeah, I'm already wishing i got a 75 instead of the 55....

looks like a better strip light is in my future....I'm keeping my eyes on Ebay.

newfound77951 said:
My advice would be totally different if you didn't already have the tank however.

Ha ha....yeah, I'm already wishing i got a 75 instead of the 55....

looks like a better strip light is in my future....I'm keeping my eyes on Ebay.

ATTA boy!

Going to live plants has really helped stabilized my MTS syndrome (notice the word stabilized, not cured). Its made the hobby so much interesting and challenging for me. Now i'm addicted to the little Priority Mail boxes that arrive weekly with the latest cool, weird or hard to find plant LOL !!

Back
Top Bottom