Help!! My ADF keeps eating my fish!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

community_tank

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I have a somewhat recently set up 20 gallon tank. It's been about a month and last week I added in an ADF. In the tank I had a Powder Blue Gaurami, 3 Ghost Shrimp, a Gold Barb, 2 Mystery Snails, 4 Neon Tetras, 1 very old and very tiny guppy, and my ADF.
When I first bought the frog and put him in the tank, he would not eat. At all. I read up and saw they don't eat flaked and its recommended to feed them blood worms. Went out and bought some for him, and of course my other fish. The other fish love them, even the Ghost Shrimp when they can snag a piece during feeding time. I tried hand feeding him and he would just freak out and jump everywhere.
As I mentioned before, my guppy was pretty aged, 1.5 years, and he was very tiny, about 1/2 the size of a normal guppy. One day when I woke up and went to turn on the light for my tank I noticed the guppy was missing. I thought nothing of it since the day before I thought he had died but he was just hiding very well under the moss ball. That should have been my first clue since he was never like that before. But, I figured he would show up eventually. Days went by and I figured he just died of old age and they grossly fed off of him while I was asleep.
Jump to today, 3 days later, my frog only ate once during this time, I had just finished feeding them and start cleaning around, you know, normal day. As I was passing by I looked at my tank and saw I was missing a Tetra. I was trying to figure out where it went since I know they school together but it wasn't with the rest. Then I see my frog. Fat as can be just sitting there. Staring at me. With a lump in his belly. I don't think I mentioned this but he's Albino. I could see the dark spot of the fish n his belly!! How do I get him to stop eating my fish?!??! I've thought about getting a very pregnant guppy so he can feed off of the babies once their born.

TL;DR My ADF is eating my fish. Don't know what to do. Thinking of getting a pregnant guppy so he can eat babies.

Last edited:
I would suspect you may have an African Clawed frog, not a dwarf. Does it have webbing between it's 'toes' on it's front feet?

African Dwarf frogs have webbing in between their fingers on their front feet. African Clawed frogs do not, and they will most certainly eat your fish.

Well this is just fantastic./:

I have a smaller 5 gallon tank that I have just been using as a plant nursery. Should I put him in there or do you think I should get bigger fish and put my Tetras in the smaller tank?

5 gallon tank may work for a younger one, but they can get up to 4 or 5 inches when fully grown. From what I've seen online, 10 gallon minimum for 1 frog.

African Dwarf frogs have webbing in between their fingers on their front feet. African Clawed frogs do not, and they will most certainly eat your fish.

+1 if it's feet are not webbed it's not an ADF it's an ACF.

Which will, eat fish.

They are best housed species only.

Caleb

Would the 5 gallon tank I have set up be enough room for him? There are plenty of hiding spaces since it is my nursery tank. I thought it was weird to see an Albino ADF.

Would the 5 gallon tank I have set up be enough room for him? There are plenty of hiding spaces since it is my nursery tank. I thought it was weird to see an Albino ADF.

I would say yes for just him. Though a 10g would be better as ACF get a decent size larger than ADF do

Caleb

I called the place that sold him to me and I'm going to take him back tomorrow. I was thinking about putting him in the 5 gallon but did end up reading that they get a decent size and I don't have the tank to make sure he is comfortable and has enough space. I will make sure that this time I am given an actual ADF and I'll get two fish to restock the fish that were eaten.

I used to have quite a few ACF. They were my favorite wet pets. They took two hands to pick them up and move them. And yeah if you were to keep him guppy fry would have been good. It's very common in my experience for pet shops to mislabel the frogs. Many people don't know the difference between the two kinds and then label them wrong and you get home and oops! I'd mention to your lfs when you return him that they need to be more cautious when labeling.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Back
Top Bottom