Help! my ammonia will not drop!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Rgosdin

Aquarium Advice Newbie
So I have cycled my new 55g tank for like 2-3 weeks now and before I put fish in the tank I was putting fish food in it to build up the bacteria since I saw no ammonia spike within that 3 week cycling I went ahead and put and put fish in....well since purchasing the api master test kit and checking my water I am seeing a very VERY dark green tube. I have now been doing water changes daily and dosing the tank with ammo lock. I just dont know why the bacteria has not grown enough to start taking down the ammonia. ..did I do something wrong (besides not cycling long enough cus thats all I can think of) my filter is a marineland c-360. And I have also bought better ceramic media for the filter. I dont know what else to do uhgggg.

All you can dois water changes after water changes. Or take the fish back to the store and start over. Be patient and just do water changes and feed less, dont clean or touch the filter. If you jave a friend with an aquarium thats healthy you can get some of their filter pad to add in your filter.

Yeah, your tank wasn't cycled.

Fish food is not a great ammonia source.

You need to do water changes, and they need to be really large. I would do twice daily 50% changes until the ammonia level falls to safe levels and then switch to a schedule that keeps it low.

What they said.

For a cycle to finish in that amount of time it'd probably have been necessary to use straight ammonia and some media from a used filter.

With the fish you have lots of ammonia and little bacteria.

Look up "fish in" cycling if you want to keep doing this with fish.

But do that water change Dalto suggested ASAP.

Sent from my iPhone with three hands tied behind my back.

You can add quick start to help move the process along.

And, lots of water changes. Aldo test your tap water to see if that has ammonia too.

Replacement water during water changes should be pretreated with Prime or another ammonia detoxifier.

When you say your tank had been cycled, did you mean it had been running awhile, or that you'd added ammonia and tested it to see evidence of bacteria colonization?

Sent from my iPhone with three hands tied behind my back.

Back
Top Bottom