help! my brother wants to put a betta or harlequin rasbora in a 1 gallon tank! ideas?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

maxwellag

Aquarium Advice Addict
My brother still relies on petsmart for information, and he just got a new tank (one gallon) and I told him he could only put a shrimp or snail in there, and he said "your an idiot. I can put a betta in there. They're meant to live in bowls, and this is bigger than a bowl!" He wont listen to my attempts to talk him out of it. What should I tell him?

My brother still relies on petsmart for information, and he just got a new tank (one gallon) and I told him he could only put a shrimp or snail in there, and he said "your an idiot. I can put a betta in there. They're meant to live in bowls, and this is bigger than a bowl!" He wont listen to my attempts to talk him out of it. What should I tell him?

Let him do it. The fish will be fine.

Fishkeeper26 said:
I'd show him a thread about bettas needing bigger than 1 gallon.

Ok, I will, but what about a him thinking its ok to add a harlequin rasbora?

Yes it is true that a betta needs a bigger tank but I have seen them in worst conditions living ok. I have a betta in a 1.5 and it is fine but a bigger tank is always better

Ok. So it isn't the end of the world. got it. The issue is, the betta he had in a different one gallon decided to immigrate to my ten gallon (that was a joke). I don't have any better spots to put the betta if he does do it. So the betta will be fine? (I guess it just wont be happy)?

Ok. So it isn't the end of the world. got it. The issue is, the betta he had in a different one gallon decided to immigrate to my ten gallon (that was a joke). I don't have any better spots to put the betta if he does do it. So the betta will be fine? (I guess it just wont be happy)?

How many bettas have you heard of dying because they were in 1 gallon "tanks?" 99% of bettas are kept in vases or bowls. A 1 gallon "tank" is probably 10x bigger than what most bettas live in.

black hills tj said:
How many bettas have you heard of dying because they were in 1 gallon "tanks?" 99% of bettas are kept in vases or bowls. A 1 gallon "tank" is probably 10x bigger than what most bettas live in.

ok... but wouldn't a shrimp be better in a one gallon tank?

ok... but wouldn't a shrimp be better in a one gallon tank?

Not if that's not what he wants. If he doesn't want a shrimp in the tank, he isn't going to pay attention to it or take care of it. However, if he wants to place a betta in there, he is more likely to show interest in taking care of the tank.

What is going to be healthier and/or happier...a betta that gets fed well, is taken care of, and always has a clean(even if its a little small) tank or a shrimp in a huge tank that doesn't get fed and lives in lousy water?

black hills tj said:

Ah.... Many! And yes a 1g tank IS better than a cup/bowl/vase, but a 2.5g or a 5g or even 10g is way better for quality of life. Just because a betta can survive in a vase doesn't mean it is thriving!

black hills tj said:
They must not be in too rough of shape if they are healthy enough to spawn. They wouldn't spawn if the conditions weren't what they considered "adequate"

Adequate isn't thriving.

I wouldn't recommend anything less than 5 gallons for a Berta that's my opinion.

black hills tj said:
They must not be in too rough of shape if they are healthy enough to spawn. They wouldn't spawn if the conditions weren't what they considered "adequate"

My sister kept 5 platys in a 2.5g and they still had babies. She also had a betta in a wine glass and he still made bubble nests. Adequate enough to breed but not live a happy, healthy, long life.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom