HELP....my pink convict started to have babys !!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

longbrro

Aquarium Advice Regular
hey guys.....yesterday my pink convict pair started to have babys.....the new bees is in the cave now and they are about 20 t0 30 fry......wht should i do......there is lots of fishes in the same aquarium.....shall i remove them ??
if so ...how can i remove them without hurting them......wht should i give them for food.....i have plastic tank specially for frys ..should i put them in it ??.....should i put medicine special for the fry like a fry protector or so ??.................................please help:confused:

I found this infor for you:

3. Feed Baby Convicts ...
the very finely powdered fish flake food like the baby Mollies eat. You can make this powered food the same way that was described for baby Mollies. Click here for more about making powdered food to feed baby fish.
But the Convict babies are smaller than Molly babies and will grow faster if fed freshly hatched brine shrimp.
The adult Convicts are very attentive parents. You'll enjoy watching them care for their babies. Convict Cichlids are members of a group called Neotropical Cichlids
And this:​
1. when do i seperate them into another tank?

You don't really have to as the parents give great parental care. This really only becomes an issue if you have a very large tank with other fish in with them. Otherwise, you don't have to treat them like Africans and give them their own tank.

2. how often do i change thae water?

A little more then you normally do. Keep in mind, normal water changes should be at least weekly, but since you need a smaller food source for the fry, and you'll want to offer food more often then the adults, you'll want to step up water changes. Maybe twice a week.

3. should i put a air bubble thing in with the frys?

So what is this saying? That you don't have one in the tank now, or you already put them in their own tank? Again this really isn't an issue at all if you leave them in with the parents and you already have an air stone in place. If you are approaching this as if you need extra oxygen for the increased bio load, then I wouldn't look at it from that way. At their size, it's not going to deplete your O2 unless you're already too short on it.

if anyone who was successful in caring for the frys could give me some info or what to execpt then that would be great. thxs

I haven't gotten my convicts to breed as I only keep them in hopes they will provide me with a food source for my Indo Datiniod. I do however have 6 different species of Africans that have spawned for me and are still spawning. Other then the Africans should be seperated as larger males would eat them, it's still pretty much the same ideals.

The parents will care for the fry by chewing food and spitting it at the fry. They grow quickly and will be on flake in no time. You should have a spawn about once every 6 or so weeks.

Back
Top Bottom