Help! My tank smells

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

CichlidLady0312

Aquarium Advice FINatic
My tank smells horrible. Never had this before!!! I thought it was the new ther a NLS food but I smelled the food in the container and I dont think thats the problem. I just did a water change today.
I also have 3 moss balls in there, but it still smells horrible. All my fish are accounted for. Im lost.

Ok well first things first test your water.. Let me know your exact readings please.. We will go from there. Do you have carbon in your filter?

definitely ensure you have carbon in your filter... carbon should be changed weekly.

it helps keep the water clear and smell good

I had my tank up and running for a good yr or so. It used to be at 0 for ammonia I dont know why it isnt now. I added stress tyme n stress coat at same time is that the problem

Do you have any plants or fish dying off?

If not then you may need to vacuum the substrate better and that will help with the smell

A weird smell is generally associated with overfeeding when excess food particles become trapped in your filter and then recirculates. What filtration are you using? All parameters seem ok. Can u list the fish types and numbers plz. And also a detailed description of when and how you do your WC.

I have a lot its pretty stock. I recently purchased another electric blue that I think im going to return hes getting beat up. Ive tried to add more fish but im assuming because its already an established tank everyone pretty much gets along they wont let anyone else in their environment. I tried to add another fish last wk but his tail got nipped and gashes on him he unfortunately died.

Check your overflow for ur missing fish. Haha that was my smell problem with my tank. Don't know how I didn't think to look there:)

Otherwise accidental overfeeding maybe? Did someone help u feed them recently? That was my other reason for a stinky tank.

Thanks I thought it was the blue cichlid I recently purchased but hes in his cichlid stone. Everyone else is accounted for. Ill clean the filter and see if thats the problem

Sometimes even a tiny tetra that's died can cause a massive smell. And if your fish are carnivorous they could have eaten away at a dead fish with remaining pieces going into intake nozzle on your filter. Clean out the filter and remember to not upset the media in it. What filter are you using?

When you have a situation like this, testing the water is really pointless. The water stinks, get it out of there and replace with fresh. Bacteria is usually the cause of a smell, so removing a large quantity of water and the bacteria that inhabits it will help a lot. Removing any extraneous solid material (secondary ammonia source) by a thorough vacuuming will also help.

Back
Top Bottom