Help! My tank smells

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
if you are changing 50% weekly and filtered at 10 X tank size so 550 gph (I think the whisper 60 is 330 gph witch will be fine if you keep up with water changes ) and doing regular vacuuming and filter maintenance I'm stumped. Unless its something else by the tank and not the tank.

Hi there

image-517320534.jpg

image-4243096312.jpg

So this is what u have I assume.
I don't think u r overstocked or under filtered.
A few quick questions.
1. What substrate do u have?
2. How often and what do u feed?
3. When u clean your filter how do u do it?
4. What heater do u have and what's your water temp?
Is your canopy closed all the time?

From what I can hear I feel either:
1. U r overfeeding
2. Your substrate might be too course and is trapping food
3. Your water temp might be slightly high
4. Add 1-3 together and u could have a really smelly tank issue

PS: Prime doesn't remove nasty smells. It just dechlorinates and stabilizes

Let me know

M

I have play sand in there right at the moment. I recently spilled half the Ther A container into my tank. Sinve then i cleaned n vacummed .That isnt the filter. The filter I use is from Pet smart I think or Petco and yes on the blue alhi. Temp is at 82 ish I was feeding twice a day but felt I was giving them too much so cut down a feeding

How many fish are in your tank?
And the important question u haven't answered is : how do u clean your filter and how often?

M

Sorry to jump in last minute but by any chance are you using Algae wafers? You said your Pleco is growing fast. When ever I use algae wafers my tank gives off a horrible smell. I stopped using them.

If you are doing weekly water changes and still getting the smell the algae wafers are probably the source of your smell. When ever I used algea wafers that night my tank smelled like swamp water. Do a water change then switch to zuchini or cucumber and see if that makes a difference.

If you are doing weekly water changes and still getting the smell the algae wafers are probably the source of your smell. When ever I used algea wafers that night my tank smelled like swamp water. Do a water change then switch to zuchini or cucumber and see if that makes a difference.

I think it might be the play sand im using....it goes away then will come back

If your sand is too deep it will give off horrible smells, because of everything it traps down there.

Its only about an inch deep. I just did a watwr change w prime too

since you did a water change does it smell now? if not hold off on the wafers fro 2 days. If the smell doesn't come back add the wafers and see what happens. Your fish will be fin a few days with out food.

since you did a water change does it smell now? if not hold off on the wafers fro 2 days. If the smell doesn't come back add the wafers and see what happens. Your fish will be fin a few days with out food.

Yes it smells horrible....AGAIN. im aboit to go to petco and pick up substrate. And then ill just get rid of the play sand. The tank is 35 so ill use that substrate in my upgraded tank when I get it

Back
Top Bottom