Help! New tank cycling with high levels

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

fishyfishay

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Help! I need advice on cycling my 60 gallon freshwater tank. I started this tank 6 weeks ago with just my baby red eared slider in it. Two weeks later I added 3 small yellow lab cichlids and 3 acei cichlids. I was going to cycle the tank with just the turtle but my husband was getting impatient and convinced me to add the fish (I know, bad idea which I am regretting). I started to see my ammonia levels rise about two weeks ago that stayed around 0.5 and would occassionally go up to 1. I would perform PWC to keep my levels at bay. I have been seeing nitrites and nitrates for the past 5 days. So now I have all 3 showing up! I was under the impression my ammonia was supposed to drop before/when my nitrites showed up but I am confused as to why I am seeing all three. My levels before I did a 20% PWC today were
ammonia: 1.0
nitrites: 1.0
nitrates:10.0
after the water change it was
ammonia: 0.5
nitrites: 0.25
nitrates: 5.0
I have been doing PWC daily to keep my levels down while cycling, but I am still concerned these are too high? Is there something else I should be doing? Am I nearing the cycle end? HELP! I don't want my fish to die!:fish1:

Your fine, your nitrates are the highest which is what it should be. Keep doing water changes and it will level. RES turtles make a TON of waste so keeping ammonia down is difficult without frequent water changes.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom