Help! Out of Ideas

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

zerobahamut03

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
:confused: Hi there, first of all this is my first post on AA. I have seen the website a couple of times before but just recently made an account.

First of all, me and my BF put our money together and bought a 38 or 39 gallon tank which he keeps at his house. He has had it about 5 months now. Then the fever wore off on me and I ended up buying a 10 gallon tank. Had some Gouramis, Molleys, Platys, Clown Loaches,and a Tire Track eel. Recently my bf bought me a 29 gallon tank that I moved into my room. Moved over all the fish, and every fish did absolutely fine with the transition! No deaths what so ever. /phew, So having the other tank empty I ended up putting 1 Green Terror Cichlid by himself in that tank. Getting pretty and big himself! So my fish I have had them for a couple of months already, only fatality I had was a clown loach that got into the hollow log and couldn't get out.:( I felt bad since they were my favorites so I got 2 more. My bf finally got his tank under control and balanced and his tank looks great! Crystal clear water and everything.

That's where my problem comes in. No matter what I do I cannot keep the water clean for very long. I've tried almost everything that I have read about buying. I have read that some people don't even have to change their water for weeks and the water is crystal clear! That's where my BF is sitting at right now. I on the other hand have to change the water every 3-4 days because it starts getting dingy and cloudy. Even the 10 gallon fish tank is the same. I even started feeling them less because I was told that I was feeding too much. I was only feeding them about 2 pinches of food a day. I've put poor fishes through all these potions and liquids that say it'll clear the water and they still love me all the same regardless. Accu-rel, clarifliers are some that I have tried and nothing seems to work. When the community tank was in the 10 gallon I had an algae bloom but this solution that I used cleared it right up. Should I try and get a bigger filter? The one I am using are the ones that came with the tanks as the bundle. All the plants are fake and the subtrates are pebbles. When I do a pwc I always put the water conditioners and the right amount of salt for the amount of water taken out. Any help would be greatly appreciative!

I just did a water change to both tanks and they look good. It'll stay this way til about 3 days from now.

I meant do you test your water for ammonia, nitrites and nitrates and Ph? Your first step I would say

Okay, my few questions and comments in blue:

Then the fever wore off on me and I ended up buying a 10 gallon tank. Had some Gouramis, Molleys, Platys, Clown Loaches,and a Tire Track eel.

Recently my bf bought me a 29 gallon tank that I moved into my room. Moved over all the fish, and every fish did absolutely fine with the transition! No deaths what so ever. /phew, So having the other tank empty I ended up putting 1 Green Terror Cichlid by himself in that tank. Getting pretty and big himself!

When did you have the 29G? The reason I am asking is, if you just got the tank really recently, and transferred all the fishes there from your 10G the same day, my biggest bet is that you are in the cycling process with fish. If my bet is true, then you can read this thead by HN1:

http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forum...-but-i-already-have-fish-what-now-116287.html

So my fish I have had them for a couple of months already, only fatality I had was a clown loach that got into the hollow log and couldn't get out.:( I felt bad since they were my favorites so I got 2 more. My bf finally got his tank under control and balanced and his tank looks great! Crystal clear water and everything.

Your BF has his tank longer, so I would say he has his tank finished cycling by now. That explains the crystal clear water. But still, he needs to do a weekly partial water change (PWC) for all his fish to thrive and be more healthy.

That's where my problem comes in. No matter what I do I cannot keep the water clean for very long. I've tried almost everything that I have read about buying. I have read that some people don't even have to change their water for weeks and the water is crystal clear! That's where my BF is sitting at right now. I on the other hand have to change the water every 3-4 days because it starts getting dingy and cloudy. Even the 10 gallon fish tank is the same. I even started feeling them less because I was told that I was feeding too much. I was only feeding them about 2 pinches of food a day. I've put poor fishes through all these potions and liquids that say it'll clear the water and they still love me all the same regardless. Accu-rel, clarifliers are some that I have tried and nothing seems to work. When the community tank was in the 10 gallon I had an algae bloom but this solution that I used cleared it right up. Should I try and get a bigger filter? The one I am using are the ones that came with the tanks as the bundle. All the plants are fake and the subtrates are pebbles. When I do a pwc I always put the water conditioners and the right amount of salt for the amount of water taken out. Any help would be greatly appreciative!

If you are still in the cycling process, you just had an ammonia bloom which explains your water not being clear. If you don't have a test kit yet, you MUST get one ASAP before everything will affect your beloved fishes. API Freshwater Master kit is highly recommended. Once you have it, check your water parameters. Ammonia and Nitrite should always be at 0.25ppm or lower so it will not affect your fishes. In the end of cycling (which will take longer than fishless cycling - around 5 weeks or so), Ammonia and Nitrites reading should be 0. Nitrates should be at least 20ppm. Higher than that is toxic to the fishes.

And oh, if you find out that your ammonia is high, do a 50% PWC at least twice a day daily to put the level to 0.25ppm.

Hope I didn't miss a thing...

You should also check the parameters of your 10G just in case...I am not sure if you have cycled that one too.

Get a test kit as soon as you can...it will save any deaths in the future. Trust me.

And oh one more thing, I don't think you really have to put salt on. It is really not necessary in my opinion. Putting a water conditioner is enough, and I would recommend Seachem Prime as it detoxify ammonia and nitrites.

1. Has the tank cycled? If you're not sure, read the cycling links in my signature.

2. Your tanks are overstocked, which contributes to the dirty water. Eels and clown loaches really don't belong in a 29g. They get much too big for the tank. A green terror in a 10g is the same situation.

3. Stop pouring chemicals into the tank. You're probably doing more harm than good.

4. What filters are you using? A good rule of thumb is to use filters rated for a tank twice as large as yours. I use a filter rated for 40g-70g on my 29g.

5. Aquarium salt isn't necessary. I use it when I'm treating illnesses, but that's about it.

Alright, I will go to the store and get the test kit today. Btw, the only death that I have had was because the clown loach got stuck in the fake wood decoration and couldn't get out. >< I'm not a fish killer :( I let you know what the results [are] from the tests when I get it done. Thanks guys.

Don't fret yet. You've just made a few very mistakes that are very common for beginners. We're just trying to get you on track to a happy healthy aquarium.

Alright, I will go to the store and get the test kit today. Btw, the only death that I have had was because the clown loach got stuck in the fake wood decoration and couldn't get out. >< I'm not a fish killer :( I let you know what the results [are] from the tests when I get it done. Thanks guys.

We know you are not a fish killer....as a beginner, I did the same thing. I didn't properly cycle my tank and at first the fishes are happy and seemed content, but not knowing your water parameters will eventually bring harm to your fishes. We just want to help you do the right way of fish keeping...I've learned a lot from ths site...the local fish store people will normally tell you all you wanted to hear so they can get your money. they really do not know the proper way of doing it.

Keep us updated with your levels....if you have more questions, there are a lot of experts here that will readily help you. :)

It's all good and you haven't killed your fish yet. I did the same thing!
I'm cycling my tank with fish but you have to be on your game.

Here's what I have been doing.
1/3 wc per day.
Make sure not to over feed. A very very small amount of food is required.
Make sure to vac your gravel to pick up any excess waste.

If you don't have a test kit like me yet. Your LFS should be able to test your water once a week.
But getting a test kit and learn how to read your water parameter is real important.

BTW your LFS will want to sell you all this stuff to put in your water to help extra but you shouldn't need it.
Aquarium salt, water ager maybe something like a kh booster if your Ph is a bit unstable but that should be the max that you will need.
Don't go buying Ph up or Ph down or ammonia remove or anything like that.

Remember your daily water changes and your tank should start to sort itself out in no time. Keep us posted!

Sorry, it took longer than I expected to reply with the results. So I bought the Freshwater Masters Kit, good for 800 tests, 34.99 at PetCo, or so it says on the label. I tested for Ammonia, Nitrite, and Nitrate.
*Drum Roll*---------------------------------
Everything came out okay and within the accepted range with Ammonia coming out clear, Nitrite coming our clear bright blue, and the Nitrate coming out at Yellow. I tested both of the tanks and they both came with similar results. So now that I can set that aside what options are left? That it's overcrowding? I don't believe that it is. If I went by 1 gallon per fish rule then I don't come close. I don't know what else it could be...

You have to check your water parameters at least once everyday because you have fish. Everytime you feed them, they poop and their poop adds to ammonia level. Your ammonia level will always fluctuate everyday when you are not finish cycling yet. So you have to watch out everyday that your ammonia level and your nitrite is at least 0.25ppm or below. If it is more than 0.25ppm for both or one of those, you need to do at least 50% water change. How much exactly is "coming out clear" in your test kit? A cycled tank normally has Ammonia=0, Nitrites=0, and Nitrates = 5-20ppm. If you don't have Nitrates yet, that means you are still in the cycling process, which means, you gotta check your water parameters everyday and change your water everyday for at least 4-5 weeks or more (that's how long it normally takes when cycling a new tank with fish). And don't, I repeat, DO NOT change your filter media when you see it dirty. If its really dirty, just clean it with the old tank water when you do a water change. The good bacteria lives in there. Only change it when it is really falling apart. When you change the filter in the middle of cycling, your good bacteria will be gone and you are back to square 1...

I know this is too much to take in....but it is necessary for a proper healthy tank...

You cannot set it aside because you are still in the cycling process. If you will not change water when the levels are high, it will greatly contribute to the danger of your fishes. As I have said, your cloudy water is an ammonia bloom since you are just in the early stages of cycling. The only thing you can do right now is, PWC, PWC, PWC. It will help...And +1 with Jay about the chemicals...you don't need all of that. It might even contribute more problems. Just stick to water change and checking your water daily.

Aww, nobody thinks your a fish killer! We've ALL lost fish. At least one.

Where is your tank? Like in the house? Near a window? Could it be algae?
Whenever my (old) tank would go through a mini-cycle, like when I put in a new fish, it would be cloudy for a few days. I would just let it be, test the water, and in a couple of days, it would spontaneously clear up on its own. It would look like milk one day, and drinking water the next.

If your tank is still cycling, I wouldn't vacuum the gravel at all. That's where a lot of the bacteria lives.

I've never used water clarifiers in my tanks (expensive!), but I've heard a lot of people say that it just made the problem worse. I'd stay away from them, keep doing PWCs, keep an eye on the water chemistry.

Keep us updated!
Good luck, and I am SO sorry you lost your little friend! <3<3<3

I'm pretty sure its a gallon per inch of fish...not a gallon per fish...but I could be wrong! I'm a beginner too :)

Back
Top Bottom