Help Please With Cycling Questions Foam In Filter Sock See Photos

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Here's a link to a design for a downdraft. I make to claims as to how well it will work or anything. I am not the author.

http://w3page.com/fishline/gif/ddskimpz.jpg

Interesting...

I came across this (after a quick search... couldn't resist the temptation to search...) Feature Article: The Development of a Method for the Quantitative Evaluation of Protein Skimmer Performance — Advanced Aquarist's Online Magazine . This is one in the study E.T.S.S. Evolution 500 Protein Skimmer - AquaCave and seems small enough. And if my very fast scanning of the data was accurate might be a good candidate.

That said, I'm not sure I get how it hooks up - I guess I was expected an "intake" area for the 1.5" drain I have. The diagram (link) you supplied presents the same questions as to how it gets plumbed into the system.

how it gets plumbed into the system
It doesn't get plumbed into the system, per se. It requires a dedicated pump to run it.....and a strong 1 at that.
From the link to the ETSS skimmer above....
...runs great with a Magdrive 9.5 pump
...Killer performance with the Iwaki 20 or 30 RT external pump

The link to the skimmer test was a test done by Ken Feldman, chemistry professor at PSU. Ken is a great guy. He is a member of the reef club of which I am on the Board of Directors. He's done quite a few very scientific reef related studies. Just Google "Ken Feldman Advanced Aquarist". ;)

It doesn't get plumbed into the system, per se. It requires a dedicated pump to run it.....and a strong 1 at that.

The link to the skimmer test was a test done by Ken Feldman, chemistry professor at PSU. Ken is a great guy. He is a member of the reef club of which I am on the Board of Directors. He's done quite a few very scientific reef related studies. Just Google "Ken Feldman Advanced Aquarist". ;)

My mind was so focused on using the downdraft action of the DT drain into a skimmer (turning that drain into a skimmer, since that's almost what's its accomplishing now) that I was envisioning not needing a pump! :) Still, these skimmers seem to have great performance and a footprint with height that I might be able to work the 500 or 600XR model into my system design.

Is it fantasy for me to be thinking that there is not a solution that utilizes the existing action of 1.5" drain I have in place? Maybe that introduces other obstacles, e.g., potential backup of the drain should something go awry in the skimmer. It's like having a mini-Niagara Falls in front of me and not harnessing its power. :)

Spoke with AETech today. They strongly recommend that I not go with either the Sump Buddy 40 Deluxe or the Reef Devil. But the advantage of in sump vs. external are large, e.g., minimal install and plumbing issues; protection against leaks; very easy maintenance as the Sump Buddy 40 Deluxe will dump the waste into an external container (e.g., milk carton or whatever). SumpBuddy40 – Aquarium Skimmer Protein Skimmer Commercial Protein Skimmer Of course this is one of the newest models, replacing a higher maintenance version of the older Sump Buddy 40 (non-Deluxe) and not readily available used.

Regarding model size, I asked about the 600xr (which it and the Reef Devil are readily available used) and was told that it is not suitable for a 65g DT. AETech says that it's much too large and will need much too large a pump - says that it will pump "dry" and not operate properly.

Your thoughts?

Update on Skimmer

Last night on eBay, I bought a used Reef Devil (approx 1 year old) RD – Aquarium Skimmers Protein Skimmers Commercial Skimmer from an experienced reefer in North Carolina. By profession he captures, transports, and sells sharks et al to established commercial aquariums all over the USA, including the original hammerhead and others at the Baltimore Aquarium (I mention that one only because I saw it years ago). Works also in and around the reef hobby. I'm banking on that I'm dealing with a reputable individual who also seems like quite a decent guy. We've talked on the phone last night and today. He's got about 1,000 gal in tanks in his home (reef and fowlr) with another 400g to yet setup. Which I hope all speaks to his veracity.

We discussed the idea of using the smaller Sump Buddy 40 Deluxe vs the Reef Devil in my sump. We think the Reef Devil physically will fit ok and, he's convinced it will do not harm (not at all too big). In fact, he had it running on a 125 tank with only a Mag 3! So, I got convinced and pulled the trigger.

He also encourages adding a 'T' to my 1.5" drain and reduce one leg a 1" drain that will fit directly into the downdraft skimmer. :) Hard to resist this temptation albeit totally unthrilled :( about re-doing the drain at this stage - have done it twice now. Arrgh. But better now than later as I'll have to pull the sump to install either skimmer (I think) just to get it inside the cabinet. Soon I'll be a master plumber...lol And if the drain idea doesn't pan out the fallback will be a Mag Drive 3.

I'll post photos as this gets done. Skimmer won't arrive until sometime next week.
This thread has been awesome for my learning curve. :thanks:

Back
Top Bottom