HELP!! Poss Ammonia Poisoning

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

KittyKatFishGrl

Aquarium Advice Regular
I believe my fish may be suffering from ammonia poisoning. At least 3 of them have red filling the tops of their bodies from the head on...also I think there may be a case of pop-eye, as all of their eyes are starting to bulge..but I can't tell if this is normal fish eye or the beginning of pop-eye...

I have a 10G, Aqueon 10 filter, 50w heater & 7 fish:
3 Neon Tetras
2 male guppies
2 albino catfish

I was feeding 2x a day, 8a & 8p, fish flakes & 2-3 pellets at night for the catfish...

My GH & KH are 0, PH is 6.5, my Nitrite is 0, my Nitrate goes between 0 & 20ppm

I did a 25% WC on Sat & then another 50% WC Sun night when I noticed the red streaking..
I don't know if I should feed or wait and let the bio-load catch up... They just look so hungry, searching around the tank for food ?

Would upgrading my filtration to a 20 or 30 help & what meds should I use, I read Tetra Parasite Guard would help with ammonia poisoning.

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

I believe my fish may be suffering from ammonia poisoning. At least 3 of them have red filling the tops of their bodies from the head on...also I think there may be a case of pop-eye, as all of their eyes are starting to bulge..but I can't tell if this is normal fish eye or the beginning of pop-eye...

I have a 10G, Aqueon 10 filter, 50w heater & 7 fish:
3 Neon Tetras
2 male guppies
2 albino catfish

I was feeding 2x a day, 8a & 8p, fish flakes & 2-3 pellets at night for the catfish...

My GH & KH are 0, PH is 6.5, my Nitrite is 0, my Nitrate goes between 0 & 20ppm

I did a 25% WC on Sat & then another 50% WC Sun night when I noticed the red streaking..
I don't know if I should feed or wait and let the bio-load catch up... They just look so hungry, searching around the tank for food ?

Would upgrading my filtration to a 20 or 30 help & what meds should I use, I read Tetra Parasite Guard would help with ammonia poisoning.

Do you have a test kit for ammonia? And your tank should be cycled, what kind of catfish are the "albino catfish"? Are they cories?

Sent via echolocation

Do water changes every day to lower the ammonia.
Could you take pictures or a video from your phone?
Red gills are a sign of ammonia poisining, as well as hanging near the surface....but the other stuff sounds like a bacterial infection....

Do you use conditioner with your water changes example (Prime) , a smaller tank is harder to keep the water in pristine condition, every forum I've read, 95% of the people I've talked to confirm. As far as the filter i would stay away from cartridge filters unless you add your own media to keep the beneficial bacteria present when you have to change a cartridge. And don't do 50% all the time it stresses the heck out of the fish and make sure you gravel vac only 1/3 or 1/2 the gravel at a time, the red streaking could be septicemia

Sent from my SM-G920P using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Ok.. Gotcha thanks Potluck, thanks Matt..when changing my cartridge is it alright to let it soak in previously changed water to build up bio-load media?

Ok.. Gotcha thanks Potluck, thanks Matt..when changing my cartridge is it alright to let it soak in previously changed water to build up bio-load media?

You should only change your cartridge when it's basically falling apart. I just rinse all the chunks that block the flow, and put it back in the filter

Sent via echolocation

Take a sample of your water to the LFS to have it tested for ammonia. You might want to look into an API master test kit while you're there.

I just went out n got a bigger tank - a 29G....my ammonia cleared up quite a bit

You have to cycle a new tank can't just add fish to it

You clean the cartridge in water you siphoned out of the tank, you can Also get a mesh bag with bio rocks from pet smart and put them in the filter and a 29 gallon that top fin 10 won't be enough

I transferred the water from my 10g & used the filter as well as some of the gravel....

That 29 gallon hasn't cycled, whereas your 10 was cycled. Which means that the fish will now be exposed to both, nitrite and ammonia. Imo you should have kept them in the 10 gallon until the 29 Cycled

Sent via echolocation

Was that not enough am I harming them? They actually seem happier...

You're only harming the fish if the ammonia or nitrIte get too high. By moving the filter and gravel over, this should mitigate most of the issue. I'd still test for ammonia/nitrIte daily and do water changes accordingly.

If/when you decide to get a bigger filter for the 30 gallon tank, keep both filter running on it for a month before removing the smaller filter.

And you have to get a bigger filter, don't get a cartridge get one that has filter media, i love fluval but aqua top i heard are pretty decent as well but with a aqua clear theres replacement parts for everything so you don't have to get a new one if something goes out, never ever rinse the media (sponge/media bag) in tap water only fish water you took out of the tank when doing the PCW and not clean it to much like once a month if that, there is such a thing as over cleaning the tank , 50 % gravel vac, 25- 50% water changes if you do 50% me personally i like to do 25% on one day then the other 25% the next, if you didn't want to use all your old gravel you could have put them in a nylon stocking and set it in the tank, yes it's an eye sore, your filter is 80% of your BB gravel is 20%

And yes when you get a new filter keep the other one going (do not clean it /change the cartridge) just leave it in the tank while your new one establishes

I do have the smaller filter running with the bigger filter, most of the gravel from10g in the 29 & I'm keeping an eye on my water parameters, today is the 1st time that my ammonia read 0 ???

One thing though my GH/KH is 0... How can I raise that?

And thank you all for the advice - this site is the best!! I feel like I have the top Vets on speed dial!

I use Seachem Equilibrium for gh and no fooling, pinches of baking soda melted in water for kh.

Back
Top Bottom