Help select my 55 gallon critter squad

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

theotheragentm

Aquarium Advice Addict
This will be a 55 gallon non-planted tank with sand substrate and rocks for fish to hide behind, but other than that it will be pretty bare. Here's what I was thinking.

10-15 Harlequin Rasboras for the top
4-5 Angelfish for the middle/roaming
8-10 Kuhli Loaches for the bottom
Maybe some Mystery snails

How's that on the bio load? Any issues with fish compatibility?

Oh and I'm putting some submersible root plants coming in from the lid just to suck up nitrates.

That sounds just about right for a 55 gallon. You will get some cool schooling action with high numbers of Harlequins! The one thing you'll have to keep on is interspecific aggression with the angels. I have 4 in my 55 gallon and they haven't shown any aggression towards each other, but in the past I had a different group of 3 and after about a year of being ok, one of the angels destroyed the other two and I had to relocate the aggressor. I honestly think that in larger groups, the aggression can be managed though. (y)

Sounds all good. just watch out for aggression in your angelfish. i hear people that get them young and then raise them in the tank have a better time keeping them in a community set up.

You're going to love your kuhlis!!!! I love mine!

Back
Top Bottom