Help! Sick Betta!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Hummingguppy

Aquarium Advice Regular
In the land of potatoes. otherwise known as Idaho.
My betta's head is covered in white fuzzy stuff, including his eyes. I have read online but nothing seems exact! It's only his head and a bit if his gills, no where else. I was thinking it might be a bacterial something, and I read to lower the tank temp. And such... Right now I have him in a ten gallon hospital tank, only filled half way with five gallons so he could get to the surface easier to breath since the stuff seems to be on his gills. I have him at 72 degrees since I read that lower temps can help slow the bacteria, which that seems to be. He has had a few salt baths with A.P.I aquarium salt, and in his tank I have some floating plants and driftwood which he seems to be spending most of his time on. Since it is filled only halfway up the tank the filter doesn't reach it but I plan on doing 20% water changes every three days and it has a small bubbler do aeration. The thing is, this has been going on for two days and he hasn't gotten any better! What should I do?

My betta's head is covered in white fuzzy stuff, including his eyes. I have read online but nothing seems exact! It's only his head and a bit if his gills, no where else. I was thinking it might be a bacterial something, and I read to lower the tank temp. And such... Right now I have him in a ten gallon hospital tank, only filled half way with five gallons so he could get to the surface easier to breath since the stuff seems to be on his gills. I have him at 72 degrees since I read that lower temps can help slow the bacteria, which that seems to be. He has had a few salt baths with A.P.I aquarium salt, and in his tank I have some floating plants and driftwood which he seems to be spending most of his time on. Since it is filled only halfway up the tank the filter doesn't reach it but I plan on doing 20% water changes every three days and it has a small bubbler do aeration. The thing is, this has been going on for two days and he hasn't gotten any better! What should I do?

Would you know where it started from on his head and how quickly it developed? Also any change in the tank that might of set it off like adding anything or even a water change.

Lowering tank temp and salt helps but sounds like a fairly advanced case. I'd start treatment with an anti-fungal and also see what meds you can pick up to treat bacterial infections.

Back
Top Bottom