Help! Sick Goldfish!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

J.Serrano

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hey guys! Can anyone help me identify what the disease is and how to treat it?

I think my Goldfish are stressed cause the temperature went up where i live and the tank temp went from 70-72 to a persistent 76... Heater is off. This is just normal ambient temperature at my place... :/
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1401859998.135031.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1401860031.252417.jpg

Looks to me like he has fin rot, that white stuff around his tail is not good. I am not an expert but do some research on fin rot or ich and see if they are what your fish has. If it is either of those diseases you need to get the correct medicine ASAP.

Your pictures make me think ich, because these are goldfish, use medicine, DO NOT raise to 86f to kill.

If parts of the fins are missing (cant tell from the pics) fin rot sounds more likely.
If unsure can purchase a general tank medicine. If you go this route also buy something like seachem stability to replenish your nitrogen cycle.

Do a rather large water change like 50% to reduce the bio load in the water. The. Treat with medication. Each subsequent dosage to the tank do a 20% wc before treatment.

During summer months would recommend a tank chiller if the daily tank temps vary widely. And unless tank water gets around 55f or less you really dont ever need a heater for these guys.

Thanks for the replies!

I had ich before and i treated it for 2 weeks with high temps (before the goldfish were added) and salt. But this looks different. Ich looked like tiny salt crystals, and this looks like bigger cotton-ish growth. Also the fish are not flashing, and are behaving pretty normal id say... Now some of the other fish have that growth in other parts of their body. Not on the fins like the goldfish.

I'm not convinced that it is ich from the pictures. I believe it's a fin rot of some sort.

its not fin-specific. Its spreading to other fish on different parts of their body. The Petco guys seem to think its fungal infection. They suggested I raise the temp 3-4 degrees and add salt, and then remove the carbon filtration and use the API Pimafix medicine.

I just hope it works...

What other fish are in the tank with them? If you have any gourami or other labyrinth fish then avoid Pimafix. It can damage their labyrinth organ to the point that they drown. There are several other effective medications available that are anti-fungals that are safe to use instead, such as Jungle Fungus Clear, Mardel Maroxy, etc.

Back
Top Bottom