Help - Tank Cycling

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

5x5

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I am about 3 weeks into my tank cycling (with fish) and seem to be having a problem.​

I had to go 4 days without a water change due to travel and I came back and my fish looked extremely pale and sickly. I had purchased one of those ammonia absorbing filter bags and added it to my filter to keep the ammonia levels down, since I wasn't going to be around to do the PWC.​

When I saw how bad things looked when I returned, I did some API tests:​

Ammonia: .25 - .50 ppm
Nitrites: 0ppm
Nitrates: 0ppm
Ph: 7.8 - 8.0​

I fed them and did a PWC and they look much, much better now.​

My tap water PH is 7.3, so I was concerned about how much that had risen in the 4 days I was gone.​

I'm trying to determine what was causing the pale/sickly look of my fish. Was is the high PH? Could the autofeeder have malfunctioned and not fed them for 4 days? Anything else I am missing?​

I would think that it is the ammonia that is making your fish not looking healthy. Did you do a PWC and lower down the ammonia below .25ppm? Most fish can go without food for a few days. So, I don't think it is because your fish didn't eat for a few days. Keep your ammonia and nitrite below .25ppm and nitrate below 40.0ppm until your tank cycles(0.0ppm ammonia and nitrites)

Roydooms - Thanks for the response.

The initial Ammonia reading was about .25 - .50, when I was done with the PWC it was basically .25. I really am kind of surprised how poorly the fish looked considered the ammonia readings weren't exactly off the charts.

Do you have your lights on timer? Most fish will turn dull in color when lights are off. Or for a few minutes after you just turned on the lights. How are they looking now?

I did not have lights on a timer, so they were in mostly darkness for 4 days. I put the lights on for about 3 hours last night and they were looking good. This morning they looked fine as well, since I left moonlighting on overnight.

Do you think they could have been fine and it was just the lack of light making me think they were pale? I am cycling with a convict cichlid and you couldn't even make out the faintest black stripe. He was almost completely white - it was scary. Now he looks normal.

Back
Top Bottom