HELP......upgrading from 20 gal. to 46gal. bow front

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

pooter

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I have a 20 gal. with two damsels and a clown in it. Doing great. Everybody gets along. And all the numbers seem to be right. I just got a 46gal. bow front tank. Would it be ok if I set up 25 gal. of salt water in it and transfer the water and fish from the other tank in it a day or two after? Or should I do the whole cycle thing with 46gal. of salt water then transfer fish. The first suggestion sure would be easer, faster, and cheaper. BUT would it be ok for as my 3 little buddys? Also once I get everything set up right can I add a puffer? If not any suggestions? I really want reef but I dont think im ready for that yet.

I think you should be able to do the transfer all at once. I would premix the extra water, move the substrate, LR (thats is where your beneficial bacteria are) water and fish. The only problem with this is stirring the substrate, it might cause some ammonia, but if you have pleny of extra premixed water for a PWC, I think it can be done.
This might be about the only puffer that will feel comfortable in that size tank, Saddle Valentini Puffer and he will eat inverts and corals, as far as I know.

I just moved from a 46Gal Bowfront to a 90 Gal acrylic, Moved the sand and added some 30lbs of new sand, moved the live rock and my fish and added the 45 extra gallons of premixed saltwater along with the 45 gal from the old tank. That was about 10 days ago, So far no noticable problems, no loss of specimens and all the parameters are normal. I was worried about an ammonia spike due to the disturbance of the substrate but it never materialized. I, .lke you, have a fairly light bio-load in my tank, and this may have contributed to it being a non-issue. GL with the move.

Sounds like a plan that many have done before. Just be prepared to do a couple extra PWC the first couple of weeks if you do get a small spike.

Also, how attached are you to the damsels? I see them being a potential problem for adding any future tank mates due to territorial agression. Although a 46g may seem huge to you in comparisson to your 20g it really is not that big in the world of SW. I would consider trading in the damsels when you take down the 20g and revise your stocking plan.

Here is a good site to help you compare species and requirements:

http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/categ.cfm?pcatid=15

With a 46g minus the damsels I think you can still get 4-5 small fish and inverts.

HTH,

Excellent point, afilter! I am so attached to my damsels, that I am thinking of getting a 125G and just have another tank! LOL!

Back
Top Bottom