HELP - weird hairy bacteria / algae is taking over

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Phoenixphire55

Aquarium Advice Freak
I have a 10 gallon tank which houses 2 crayfish. I has a bubble bar in it and a couple plants, rocks etc. Ever since I got it I've noticed a kind of fur/hair-like algae or bacteria growing on the sides of the filter and the glass near the filter. It looks just like cilia or something very much like super thin strands of hair flowing in the current. Its not as long as hair though of course. I did a full tank cleaning last weekend, and moved the school of guppies from the crayfish tank into a different tank. I noticed last night that the bacteria/algae stuff is EVERYWHERE :( :(. I dont know how it could have grown in one week so extensively, but I'm getting quite nervous for my crayfish. The stuff is growing on the glass on all four sides, on the plants, on the rocks, everywhere. It seems to be growing very densely on the areas of rock where the bubbles hit directly from the bubble bar. Does anyone know what this is or how I can control it? The only thing I can think of is that the guppies had been eating it in the past, and its now become a big problem because I dont have anymore guppies in the tank. Please help!!

If it's green, it's algae, the best way to try to get rid of it is to reduce your feeding and reduce light, this way the algae hasn't got anything to feed on and cannot photosynthesise (big word!!! :mrgreen: ) to feed itself & grow... :)

I wish it were algae, but its pinkish grey and the tank has no direct light shining on it ever. :(

Can you post some pics? That would help with figuring out what it is. Long thin strands would almost have to be algae. Is it easy to pull off? Right now I would suggest manually removing what you can till a more permanant solution is found.

HTH

I think it is mold. There's only ambient room lighting in the tank and its in a place where light doesn't shine directly into it. The mold stuff is really easy to remove and I brushed it off of the rocks and walls before going home for Xmas. I was only gone for less than 24 hours and when I got back last night it appeared that ~80-90% of the stuff was gone. Lol. I have no idea what happened. It was everywhere a few days ago and now it loooks like its completwly under control. Thanks for the advice guys :)
If the problems rears its ultra-ugly head again I'll post pictures.

Back
Top Bottom