Help! What is this creature in my aquarium.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Resurgent

Aquarium Advice Regular
It's about an inch and a half in length... And is light red/brown, Watch the video here and hopefully someone can identify it. I found it in the gravel of my 12 gallon freshwater tank..

Ah... Some sites recommend removing them. Though i've been aware of it's presence in the tank for several weeks now... Any advice?

Table salt kills leeches you know >:) but I wouldn't put it in your tank. Pinch em out and salt em. I've heard leeches carry parasites, however I could be wrong. I just wouldn't want it in my fish tank. I wonder how it got in there.... eewwww. MMaybe somebody else can tell you what is the best thing to do with the slimy thing. Hey do they have eyes? Oriis it just a worm like thing with a round sucker mouth and teeth?

lol Well I noticed him several weeks ago... I have some live plants maybe he got in like that? But I noticed him eating frozen bloodworms so I labeled him harmless... Yesterday I did a gravel vac and he got sucked up so I was able to get a better look at him... He hasn't attacked any fish in the tank yet... Is it possible he just eats frozen bloodworms and hides in the gravel?
oh and I put a magnifying glass up to him and didn't see eyes but he might have them.. .

leech2.gif

As there is no visible sucker on him... I believe him to be specifically a worm leech.

Ya it's a leech and leeches do just that........they leech.........BLOOD FROM YOUR FISH!

LOL.........if given the opportunity it will attack your fish.

Here is a quote from this web site.

"The Freshwater Leech is a parasite that feeds on the blood of fish, frogs, turtles, and mammals. It should not be confused with other leeches, most of which prey only on insects, snails, and small creatures."

Resurgent said:
lol Well I noticed him several weeks ago... I have some live plants maybe he got in like that? But I noticed him eating frozen bloodworms so I labeled him harmless... Yesterday I did a gravel vac and he got sucked up so I was able to get a better look at him... He hasn't attacked any fish in the tank yet... Is it possible he just eats frozen bloodworms and hides in the gravel?
oh and I put a magnifying glass up to him and didn't see eyes but he might have them.. .

leech2.gif

As there is no visible sucker on him... I believe him to be specifically a worm leech.

:eek2: You're going to keep it aren't you?

hehe ok so now what's the most humane way to put it to death? Table salt makes them throw up to death? "according to wikipedia...Salting a leech is probably the worst thing you can do to to get a leech off of you." "The leech will convulse and regurgitate back into the wound thereby introducing bacteria."

Ummmm, not to add to the gross content here, too much, but some of those things get to be 6 inches long and 2 across. Before the have started feeding. Used to see them at Leech Lake in Minnesota. Lousy place to swim, but good fishing. And yes, all freshwater leeches will attach to fish, given a chance.
If you do keep it, they can squeeze out of a very small opening. I have no comments on feeding though. Oh heck, yes I do. Remember 'Little shop of Horrors'? We must be prepared to give our all for our little critters.

most humane way of killing it, i guess treat it like a fish, some vodka and cod oil or freeze it. You could pour gas on it outside and light it ablaze, the intense heat will kill it quick if its anything like a big spider.

LMAO sorry I probably shouldnt laugh at that, but just the way you so casually mentioned to take it outside and LIGHT'ER UP!! heh heh Gas leeches and fire.....just sounds like a witches recipe or something lol :) You could just take it out put it in a cup of vodka and freeze em. Hed die drunk and happy I guess.

lol vodka I think would be just as bad if not worse then salt.

Just toss him in the local pond.

I'd just step on him if you insist on killing him.

SQUIIISH........hey........its quick anyway. :twisted:

A humane way to kill him? .... Are you attached.....What a waste of vodka....

Oh and just because were on the subject...its almost fly season ...and whats a humane way to kill them.... cuz I've been using a FLY SWATTER!!!

Back
Top Bottom