HELP. What is this?!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

catfishkid

Aquarium Advice Activist
I spotted something rather alarming on one of my younger julii corydoras.

image-4113101140.jpg

There's a large whitish bump just above his left eye, parts of his tail are missing two. I have had a cherry barb with this same spot a long time ago but he died before I could help the poor thing. I pulled the cory out and into a makeshift quaratine: tank water, pebbles, and two airline tubes (one in water, one above) inside a tall tupperware. I cannot afford a real quarantine tank so it will have to do. The tank also homes;
-1 Dalmatian lyretail molly
-1 DLM fry
-5 cherry barbs
-3 (well now 2) corydoras
-1 dwarf gourami
- a plethora of snails
Help is need!

image-1988104220.jpg
image-2264151631.jpg

This looks to be more than one problem,

You have a bacterial infection going on, fin rot and fungus too if it has a white lump on his head, this needs to be treated with an anti fungal bacterial medication.
He also seem to have red gills which would idicate to me that you could have high ammonia in the tank.
I see that alot of the water is missing from the top, has this evaporated? It leads me to believe you aren't changing enough water. How often and how much water are you changing out?

Do you know the parameters of the tank? Do you have a testing kit?

I would start by doing a 50% water change, all the symptoms i see could of been avoided with regular clean water but it now needs treating but should prevent things like this happening in the future.

Last edited:
This looks to be more than one problem, You have a bacterial infection going on, fin rot and fungus too if it has a white lump on his head, this needs to be treated with an anti fungal bacterial medication. He also seem to have red gills which would idicate to me that you could have high ammonia in the tank. I see that alot of the water is missing from the top, has this evaporated? It leads me to believe you aren't changing enough water. How often and how much water are you changing out? Do you know the parameters of the tank? Do you have a testing kit? I would start by doing a 50% water change, all the symptoms i see could of been avoided with regular clean water but it now needs treating but should prevent things like this happening in the future.

I do a 25% water every two weeks, I do have a testing kit and my current readings are
Ammonia - 0 ppm
pH - 6.5 ppm
Nitrite - 0 ppm
Nitrate - 5 ppm

What should I treat him with?

Okay I just bought some medicine.

image-1254542663.jpg

Should I put him back in the main tank to treat or should I leave him in the tupperware/quarantine?

25% every two weeks just isn't enough. Especially in smaller tanks. I do a 50% about every 5 days but no longer than once a week.

And neither if the medications you bought will do much good. Honestly they are more of a mild anesthetic than anything else

I swear by maracyn-oxy. I have used it to cure pretty much everything its a little pricey but imo well worth it!!!! There are many other products out there too that I've head people mention here too i just can't think of them off hand. Melafix and primafix are probably better for situations like a fish just got an injury and you can add them to the tank to help soothe the fish and prevent an infection from settling in. In addition to plenty of water changes

Back
Top Bottom