HELP! What's going on with my tank?!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Mumma.of.two said:
I'm sorry to hear about you wife!
MFD is right though. If the nitrates stay that high ,even with the frequent large water changes you do, it means you have way too many fish in the tank. The high filtration will remove large bits of waste and filter high amounts of water to be 'treated' by the BB. The nitrates are the end product of all the waste your fish produce and no amount of filtration will bring that number down. Keep up the frequent testing and water changes but if you can't get the nitrates down to 20-40ppm and keep them there I think your going to have to look into rehoming some fish, sorry.

I know he's right. And your right too. I texted my fish guy he's gonna take 12 which will bring me to just about 32-34. I'm sure that will help. :(

I learned the hard way but now I can share and educate others. So I look at it at as a plus also.

And thank you my wife is nervous but we'll pull through. :)

I'm sorry about your fish... I'm battling high nitrates too. Unfortunately my tap is high.
Also both you and your wife are in my prayers... :)

Donkey Gun said:
Hey Convict,
Things will get better, hang in there. You are both in our prayers!

ocminpin said:
I'm sorry about your fish... I'm battling high nitrates too. Unfortunately my tap is high.
Also both you and your wife are in my prayers... :)

Thank you all very very much!!

Sending positive vibes your way, and your wife's way. :) I know you'll get your tank issues straightened out. I have high nitrates in my tap and adding Purigen to my filter has helped.

Hholly said:
Sending positive vibes your way, and your wife's way. :) I know you'll get your tank issues straightened out. I have high nitrates in my tap and adding Purigen to my filter has helped.

Thanks Holly!! :)

Terrance said:
Still too many fish.

Hey Terrance I just re homed 20!! :(

I know it's the right thing. How many can I keep? I actually had more so I have right now about 26 not including 2 Synodontis, 1 red tail, and 4 kinds of loaches. What's a sweet spot number? I'm sad for a few reasons. The tank looks empty now.

Convict2161 said:

I know it's the right thing. How many can I keep? I actually had more so I have right now about 26 not including 2 Synodontis, 1 red tail, and 4 kinds of loaches. What's a sweet spot number? I'm sad for a few reasons. The tank looks empty now.

Bummer...20? Dang!

Gboy66 said:
Bummer...20? Dang!

Yup! I knew I was way overstocked so when they all came up for feeding I just netted like crazy!! But them in a bucket with a air stone going. Then this morning I brought them to john at the LFS for credit. Funny thing though. I still can't get those 2 frontosas lol. I'll be ok. It's the right thing to do.

Convict2161 said:
Yup! I knew I was way overstocked so when they all came up for feeding I just netted like crazy!! But them in a bucket with a air stone going. Then this morning I brought them to john at the LFS for credit. Funny thing though. I still can't get those 2 frontosas lol. I'll be ok. It's the right thing to do.

So, did you take out the ones you didnt like as much and leave your favorites? Thats sad..:(

Yeah I netted like crazy looked in the bucket to see if I got anyone's that I really wanted an put them back and kept going.

:(

Convict2161 said:

Well done! You've done the right thing. :) Tank care will be easier on you and it will stay healthier for your fish.

What's a sweet spot number? The tank looks empty now.

I think every tank has its own sweet spot number, convict..... you'll have to find yours. You're doing the right thing by rehoming, and many of us have been down that road with you at some point in our fishkeeping experience. This is a hobby with plenty of learning curves and learning the necessity of rehoming is one of them.

Ultimately, it's not about us and what we want, or how empty a tank might look, it's about the fish. I know that you know this.

Hugs to your sweet wife. Been there, done that, got the darn t-shirt.

Well thank you everyone for being so supportive an helpful. I fully rearranged my tank, pics soon!! I got the frontosas out also! :) LFS has them and the other fish. So I was able to do a head count. I have 19 fish in my 75 gallon. I hope that's ok! I CAN'T do this again!! :( not with everything going on!! I'm done hopefully that number will work. I can't wait to see the difference in water quality with all those fish gone.

I ended up re homing about 34 fish!!! I was WAY WAY overstocked!! Hopefully things will be better now?

I hope.

Thanks again for the prayers for my wife mean a lot!!

Here it is! Believe it or not I opened it up big time!! Took a bunch of rocks out and 3 fake logs I had in the back. Figured I'd give them more room to swim and stuff.

I can't believe what took out. They have A LOT more room now! And less fish! Hope there gonna be happy.

View attachment 71510

View attachment 71511

View attachment 71512

View attachment 71513

View attachment 71514

I was stressed out BIG TIME and OCD kicked in too!! I hope you guys/gals like it. I do! It's more open :) I'm happy. Only took 5 hours. Then had to replant.

Well I'm gonna go relax and watch my tank minus over 20 fish :( but I do feel better because I did the right thing!

Thanks everyone!!

Last edited:
Convict2161 said:
Well thank you everyone for being so supportive an helpful. I fully rearranged my tank, pics soon!! I got the frontosas out also! :) LFS has them and the other fish. So I was able to do a head count. I have 19 fish in my 75 gallon. I hope that's ok! I CAN'T do this again!! :( not with everything going on!! I'm done hopefully that number will work. I can't wait to see the difference in water quality with all those fish gone.

I ended up re homing about 34 fish!!! I was WAY WAY overstocked!! Hopefully things will be better now?

I hope.

Thanks again for the prayers for my wife mean a lot!!

Is 19 really stocked for a 75? I guess when they are all 4" right?

Back
Top Bottom