HELP! What's going on with my tank?!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Convict2161 said:
Here it is! Believe it or not I opened it up big time!! Took a bunch of rocks out and 3 fake logs I had in the back. Figured I'd give them more room to swim and stuff.

I can't believe what took out. They have A LOT more room now! And less fish! Hope there gonna be happy.

I was stressed out BIG TIME and OCD kicked in too!! I hope you guys/gals like it. I do! It's more open :) I'm happy. Only took 5 hours. Then had to replant.

Well I'm gonna go relax and watch my tank minus over 20 fish :( but I do feel better because I did the right thing!

Thanks everyone!!

Looks good Dino! When you think about it how it was before it didn't have 75g of water in it probably close to 60g with all the decor and plants. More water + less fish = happy, healthy tank! Well done. Time to relax! :)

Mumma.of.two said:
Looks good Dino! When you think about it how it was before it didn't have 75g of water in it probably close to 60g with all the decor and plants. More water + less fish = happy, healthy tank! Well done. Time to relax! :)

Thanks Mumma it was hard but I did it. You should have seen all the decor that came out. One huge fake plant,3 of those petco black fake logs, some Cichlid stones, some real rocks and slate and also some plants. Whew. I had a ton of decor. This now whether it looks like it or not is a HUGE difference. It's so much more open!

I'm just watching them swim around now.

One thing I'm worried about is I probably stirred up ALOT when going after the fish. The water was really really cloudy. It's cleared up now but I should probably test later.

Convict2161 said:
Thanks Mumma it was hard but I did it. You should have seen all the decor that came out. One huge fake plant,3 of those petco black fake logs, some Cichlid stones, some real rocks and slate and also some plants. Whew. I had a ton of decor. This now whether it looks like it or not is a HUGE difference. It's so much more open!

I'm just watching them swim around now.

One thing I'm worried about is I probably stirred up ALOT when going after the fish. The water was really really cloudy. It's cleared up now but I should probably test later.

Good idea just to be on the safe side. If you have ammonia or nitrite a PWC will be needed. But you know that :)

Mumma.of.two said:
That's not too bad! The tank might look empty but they are only babies. They are going to get much bigger. :)

For now I'm done. If need be later when there bigger, maybe they will be easier to catch and I won't have to tear my tank down again. I'm tired. My work is done here for now.

Hholly said:
I bet now you will start seeing different behaviors from your fish and it won't seem so empty.

Yeah I'm curious about that too! Can't wait to see what develops.

Terrance said:
What does your 24 include?

Yellow labs, blue cobalts, albino zebras, orange zebras, one Moorii, yellow zebras, a few peacocks. I believe there's a few red zebras. And a few Johanni's. There are a few that I don't know what they are. As I said when I started I fell victim to the "assorted" tank.

View attachment 71566

View attachment 71567

View attachment 71568

View attachment 71569

View attachment 71570

View attachment 71572

View attachment 71571

View attachment 71574

View attachment 71575

Last edited:
I would keep 10 or less cichlids in your tank for excellent water conditions. Plus there it could lead to more space for growth, swim, and establish territory

Terrance said:
I would keep 10 or less cichlids in your tank for excellent water conditions. Plus there it could lead to more space for growth, swim, and establish territory

Thank you for your advice but after re homing so many today and rearranging my tank as well as removing a lot of decor, cleaning the AC 110 and the fx5 I'll see how it goes from here.

LyndaB said:
I think every tank has its own sweet spot number, convict..... you'll have to find yours. You're doing the right thing by rehoming, and many of us have been down that road with you at some point in our fishkeeping experience. This is a hobby with plenty of learning curves and learning the necessity of rehoming is one of them.

Ultimately, it's not about us and what we want, or how empty a tank might look, it's about the fish. I know that you know this.

Hugs to your sweet wife. Been there, done that, got the darn t-shirt.

Thanks LyndaB :)

I feel REALLY good about today!! I feel refreshed and just in general feel like I did my part to make my fish happy.

ocminpin said:
Wow that looks great :) you're inspiring me even more to go planted...

Thanks!! Really appreciate the comments!! You see the big piece of slate? I'm gonna fill it with Anubias. I'm gonna gel glue it so it's full to break it up a little so it's not all rock right there :) can't wait!! Tomorrow's project.

Convict2161 said:
Thanks!! Really appreciate the comments!! You see the big piece of slate? I'm gonna fill it with Anubias. I'm gonna gel glue it so it's full to break it up a little so it's not all rock right there :) can't wait!! Tomorrow's project.

Go you! :)

Back
Top Bottom