Help with brown alge!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

maestromad

Aquarium Advice Addict
Hey fish experts, I'm after some advice. Although I'm planning on moving into a larger tank my plastic plants, and live ones have got a brown marking on it. It's also on the stone gravels and some of the glass. It comes off when I rub it with my finger or cloth. Any ideas on what causing it??
My nitrates and ammonia are 0 and the oh is around 8.5,
Thanks guys

Brown algae are usually diatoms. They are common with newly setup aquariums. Just do some partial water changes and let nature take its place. It will eventually subside on its own.

You can also add in some otocinclus catfish to your tank. They'll eat the diatoms.

Otos love diatoms, but they don't do well in new tanks. Diatom explosions are caused by excess silicates in the tank. Once the diatoms consume the silicates, they'll die off.

Thanks guys, i'm not sure what sillicates are but i shall go research now!!

OOh one more question (I'm full of them) I need to clean my larger as its my brothers old one and is rather dirty!

What is the best thing to clean it with? I used salt in the current tank but open to better suggestions as this one needs a good scrub!

Thanks

Is this larger tank empty and just dirty our is it occupied? Methods of cleaning can vary depending if we have live inhabitants to worry about.

No it's empty, apart from some old cobwebs?! It's been in a garage for a couple years so you can imagine what it's like!

You can get a scrubbing sponge, some bleach (plain with no perfumes), a razor blade to scrape the glass if need be, a bucket, water, and lots of elbow grease! Don't worry, you'll have lots of fun! ;)

Just don't use any other cleaners that can potentially leave a residual trace that can cause you trouble down the road, especially when you're trying to cycle the tank in the initial phase.

Thanks again I shall get started onthat as soon as possible, then I'll be back naggin about plants and how many fish lol!!

I like white vinegar more than bleach for cleaning aquariums. It dissolves mineral deposits that bleach won't and it's safer if you miss rinsing a little out of the tank.

Don't worry too much about the silicates. It's just forms of silica that comes in with the rocks, sand, decorations, etc. The diatoms take care of it for you.

Thanks I'll be investing in some white vinegar and elbow grease then! Obviously I'll test the water before I put new fish in but as I don't hve a spare filter how long can I reasonably keep them in the bucket? I'm going to reuse the majority if the water from the orginal tank to try and balance it out some

Back
Top Bottom