Help with Cherry Shrimp!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

aquariumc

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Help! I recently started a Cherry Shrimp spieces tank and there are about 25 shrimps. 2 of them have visiblelly yellow saddle, but none of them had eggs. Then today I looked at my tank and what I think are eggs are on the substrate. They are a little clump of light greenish-yellow circles. These are eggs right? Why did they drop them? And how is it possible there are eggs (if they are)? I didnt see any shrimp with eggs! And if this helps. They've molted a few times.

they don't drop them. the female will molt and release a pheromone. then move the eggs to her swimlet (under her tale). A male will fertilizes. then she will carry and fan them for 3 to 4 weeks before they hatch

What are the green and yellowish things on my substrate?

Here's a picture

Attachments

• image-1123815550.jpg
    image-1123815550.jpg
    162.3 KB · Views: 130
Not sure really. I'm guess is that maybe a few detached but I'm total guessing.

Do you see the female with eggs or does she still have a saddle?

There used to be two with yellow saddles but now there's only one with a saddle. The other one lost it.

they don't drop them. the female will molt and release a pheromone. then move the eggs to her swimlet (under her tale). A male will fertilizes. then she will carry and fan them for 3 to 4 weeks before they hatch
RCS can in fact drop their eggs if stressed. What are your water parameters? Usually the drop is caused by fish stressing them, but you have no fish in the tank.

Those are dropped eggs. When you sex them look just behind their heads for the saddle. What you saw with the one that dropped her eggs was her during "pregnancy" normally the saddle is not under her tail. It's under there only if pregnant. Hopefully you other one doesn't drop her eggs. Don't be surprised if one day you just notice little bitty shrimp around. Mine seemingly appeared out of nowhere.

Back
Top Bottom