Help With Finding a Fish For 1 Gallon Tank?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I would take the mollies out personally, they get a bit large for a 10g tank :) 2 Platty and 1 Dwarf Gourami is good, bio-load wise. You could add an amano shrimp or two after the tank matures in a few months :)

I would take the mollies out personally, they get a bit large for a 10g tank :) 2 Platty and 1 Dwarf Gourami is good, bio-load wise. You could add an amano shrimp or two after the tank matures in a few months :)

Okay I will let him know & thank you! I'm wanting a dwarf gourami myself with a few platties or tetras.

Okay I will let him know & thank you! I'm wanting a dwarf gourami myself with a few platties or tetras.

Just a warming, platties are crap machines, and always pooping, so two max in a 10g IMO with a good water change schedule to keep nitrates in check :)

I agree with scotty on this as will most people. It's pretty standard to do a weekly 50% change of water. You will need to do more for a cycling tank however.

Okay got it! :) Thank you & I will let my room mate know about the mollies. Hopefully letting him read this post will convince him to go a different route, although humans can be quite stubborn. Haha :p

I have 2 platies, GBR and DG in a 20G and they are awesome, also have 2 platies and a betta in a 10 so definitively agree on the 2 platies and DG

I have 2 platies, GBR and DG in a 20G and they are awesome, also have 2 platies and a betta in a 10 so definitively agree on the 2 platies and DG

You have 2 platties & a betta in a 10 gallon? The betta doesn't cause any troubles? Is it a female betta?

Not sure how long ago you posted this but I went to target and got a super cool 2 gallon bowl put a piece of cool rock at the bottom of it with a piece of good luck bamboo and a Betta and I was good to go...the most important thing I learned was at least once a week I replaced 1/2 the water and didn't over feed and definitely not in an unlit or dark corner..easy does it-- I fell in love with my fish now I have two bettas and a 29 gallon tank with a variety of fish, rock and coral and live plants..a beautiful little world of my own that is ever changing and soooo soothing!

Not sure how long ago you posted this but I went to target and got a super cool 2 gallon bowl put a piece of cool rock at the bottom of it with a piece of good luck bamboo and a Betta and I was good to go...the most important thing I learned was at least once a week I replaced 1/2 the water and didn't over feed and definitely not in an unlit or dark corner..easy does it-- I fell in love with my fish now I have two bettas and a 29 gallon tank with a variety of fish, rock and coral and live plants..a beautiful little world of my own that is ever changing and soooo soothing!

Thanks! I ended up getting a 3 gallon w/ filtration for the betta & just recently purchased a 10 gallon w/ filtration for better landscaping.

Update:

So I went ahead & stocked my new tank. I have a red wag platty, a dalmatian molly & some type of molly that is all black.
I know my tank is a little small for the mollies but a friend had to give up the 2 mollies so I figured instead of him flushing them down the toilet I would take them from him & try giving them a better home since he hadn't been taking the greatest care of his fish & is currently getting rid of all his aquarium equipment.
The fish have been in the tank for a few days & seem to be doing very well! Very active, eats every time I feed them & they all get along very well.
The black molly seems to be a little trouble maker but just kind of chases the other molly around the tank occasionally.
Anyone could help me identify the all black molly? Any suggestions of care taking for these new little fellas?

Hmmmm I'm not really sure except I have a large african cichlid with about 6 smaller fish...all the pet experts tell me that it's dangerous for all the other smaller fish because he's aggressive but he chases them around but hasn't been nipping..they've all been together for about a year ( I inherited the tank and fish ) but I'm keeping an eye on them and if they start getting nibbled on then I'll need to put him in his own tank..someone suggested more frequent but smaller FEEDINGS so there's not as much competition for food..but I'm sure all the species are different..also I've been told if the fish are similar in size there's not too much bullying...don't quote me tho' because I'm still a beginner lol! Oh also I was told the same species can be more aggressive to each other and I've seen this with my red finned sharks! So your Molly might be zeroing in on the other especially if it's smaller..hopefully some one can give you some more solid info! Good luck!

I highly suggest selling the mollies or even giving to an LFS because they really are to big for the 10 gallon. Also did you even cycle the tank?

I highly suggest selling the mollies or even giving to an LFS because they really are to big for the 10 gallon. Also did you even cycle the tank?

I cycled the tank, well actually my friend had already cycled it about a couple months prior to him giving it to me.
My room mate just purchased a 25 gallon so would that be a better fit for the mollies & just keep the platty in the 10 gallon?

Back
Top Bottom