Help with fishless tank cycle

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jschristian44

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi
I added a raw shrimp on January 14th. Took it out on like the 20th-21st. Did 2 massive water changes and got the ammonia down to 4ppm. Before the first water change the ammonia was way over 8ppm and nitrites were at 0.25ppm. After the water change I got the nitrites at 0 ppm. Did almost a full water change today and got the ammonia down to .50 and the nitrites still at 0. What confuses me is why the nitrates were at 80ppm after the 2 water changes and the ammonia was at 4ppm. After the huge water change today I got the nitrates down to 40ppm. Keep in mind the ph levels were always at around 8ppm and still are. Now here are my test results today after the huge water change. Where am I at in the cycle. From the results it tells me im done cycling, and that the leftover ammonia was from the bits of shrimp that were left in after i took it out. What confuses me is that its only been 2 weeks now. I use tetrasafe water conditioner for every water change. Also, I had an indian almond leaf in the same time as the shrimp and took it out as well.

Also, I am putting in 5 amazon sword plants and a bunch of frogbit this week. This tank is meant for my betta spawn tank, but I wanted to cycle it because I want to use it afterwards as my display tank with like 4 female betta. I also have substrate I want to put in.

PLEASE HELP!
PLEASE HELP!
PLEASE HELP!
PLEASE HELP!
PLEASE HELP!
PLEASE HELP!

new test results 1/26/2011:

pH-

ammonia-

nitrites-

nitrates-

I don't fully understand your process.

But when you reached 4ppm of Ammonia after the water change how fast the Ammonia drop to 0.25ppm?

After that did you added ammonia again to increase to 4ppm again?

Remember that if you don't add ammonia once your bacterias are transforming it to Nitrites, they will starve and die. looks to me that with the massive PWC that you did maybe the good bacterias for the ammonia are starving and possible are dead.
I hope not, but this is my opinion.

My suggestion is to add ammonia to 4ppm again and read after 24 hours to see how much it drops.

Post your results and then we see what could be the next step

Ive cycled with shrimp and its a longer process than giving the tank doses of ammonia. For that you will need patients and regular water tests because besides the ammonia spike you need the NiTRITES to do so as well. Constant water changes will just set you back.

Hi there. New to the forums and to this hobby. taking advice from a friend I am cycling my 10gallon tank with with shrimp method.

I started mine on Jan 1. When March 1 came around all I had was ammonia still at around 5ppm and no other readings. He suggested I restart. So i did. Took out everything and cleaned etc...

So here I am march 15th, shrimp decaying, readings are as follows.

PH 7.8
Ammo 5-6ppm (under 8 though but above 4)
Nitrite 0
Nitrate 0

My question is this, ammo spiked on day 4 and has remained at the same level now as above. No progress and I am worried that the same is going to happen. I have patience but I dont want to waste time either. Should I leave the shrimp in or remove it?
Thanks in advance!!

PS. Doing searches on the net I got lots of info as well but also confused me to no end.

Well i figured that. Isn't that what is supposed to happen? I guess my question is am i going to run into the same problem because shouldn't i be getting a nitrite reading? Even a low one?

Yes you should see a spike in nitrites, but will take time, my recommendation is that if you start to read ammonia in high levels ( more than 4 ppm), the do a partial water change, just water, don't touch the filter and keep the shrimp in the tank as the source of ammonia.

Just treat your new water with PRIME, keep temperature high also 82 to 84 degrees.

Could take up to 2 to 3 weeks before you start to see nitrites. If you want to speed the cycle the best way to do it is to add a cycle filter from a friend, or a bunch of gravel from a established tank.

Okay thanks. Wont a water change make the cycle longer? But good to know that i am on the right track.

No, water change should not delay your cycle, but a excessive amount of ammonia could, in other words if you readings of ammonia get to 8 ppm, this levels can delay the cycle, I'm making these statement based on other people experiences posted here in AA.

It could take a few days to get nitrites. If your ammonia stays up that high though i might consider a pwc to get it down to say 3-4 ppm.

Ok so i did the pwc and got it down to 3-4ppm. I think its now back up between 4&5. Still no sign of nitrite. Same readings as i got at the start. Ph is still 7.8. Anything else i can do?

penguin44 said:
Ok so i did the pwc and got it down to 3-4ppm. I think its now back up between 4&5. Still no sign of nitrite. Same readings as i got at the start. Ph is still 7.8. Anything else i can do?

You want to keep the ammo around 4ppm. Takes time for the n02 to show up.

Sent from my Epic 4G using Aquarium

Ok ammonia is steady at 4ppm since the 17th.. Still no nitrite readings. Forgot to add temp is at 82f

Is it normal to still have a zero reading for nitrite?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I896 using Aquarium

Back
Top Bottom