Help with my Diatom Algae...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Christopher311

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have a 75 gallon fowlr which has been up and running for over a year. I've had problems with diatom algae for a long time.

There was a couple months where my daylight lamp broke and I was only using blue/red lighting. During that period there was no algae.

A couple weeks ago I got a new light fixture and the algae has come back strong. it's mainly on the sand now currently but is starting to show up on the glass and rocks. It disappears overnight when the lights are off but right when the lights come on in the morning it quickly returns.

I use RO/DI water and do big water changes biweekly. My parameters are basically all zero. I have a protein skimmer and am running charcoal and a phosphate pad.

What do I do? Is this a temporary thing because of the new lighting? It's been a pretty constant problem for me. I've read a lot about it but everyone says its a temporary bloom for new tanks.

Any help would be appreciated.

Attachments

• image-3369495505.jpg
    image-3369495505.jpg
    139.2 KB · Views: 101
  • image-3884324758.jpg
    image-3884324758.jpg
    191.8 KB · Views: 112
Unfortunately, it happens to us all. Hair algae has to have nutrients (nitrogen mainly)to grow. It doesn't take much. Over feeding, tap water, something dead and hidden in the tank, etc. Just keep working to lower nitrates and phosphates. My Hanna shows .04 on phosphates and I have little hair algae.

So when you say hair Algae I'm assuming that is a class of algae? And diatom is one type of hair algae?

Because that is diatom algae im dealing with correct?

So when you say hair Algae I'm assuming that is a class of algae? And diatom is one type of hair algae?

Because that is diatom algae im dealing with correct?

No, diatoms are different but still both are algaes , caused by many of the same things. Diatoms are an eukaryotic algae. The cell wall of diatoms is made of silica (sand and glass) so they need selenium to prosper. There are selenium absorbers on the market, but usually diatoms clear up on their own.

Last edited:
How's your flow? I get detritus buildup in low flow areas of my tank, it looks identical to that.

I think my flow is good. 2 koralia 750s and mag 7 return. For a 75 gallon tank

It only appears on the sand in front of the rocks. I never see it in the back or under the rocks which I assume is because there's limited light there.

Idk man it could be because of so many things.

Your water source could have silicates, could be flow, your photo period could be to long, or a few other things. You need to change something, clean it out, and see if it comes back.

If my water source had silicates would they be removed by my rodi unit?

Thanks for the help. Ill see what I can figure out

I know u said its been up and running for a year but usually a diatom bloom is from new tank syndrome. Or u started out with tap water and u still have silicate in the water.

Good tank maintenance and time will rid the diatoms. Also trochus and astrea snails will eat it up for ya. Try to lower your photo period and see if that helps out at all. Do u have any light demanding corals?

I would def up the flow ur running around 30x per hour my tank is upwards of 55x an hour

Back
Top Bottom