Help with Ph levels

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Serial

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I bought a 5-n-1 test kit from wal-mart today. I have 10 gallon tank and a 29 gallon tank. I have had my 29 gallon for 3 weeks. Ive been using the fishless cycle product called cycle since i got it. I add it every 7 days and i did a double dose the very first time. I also added a good size dose of aqua safe by tetra aqua. Now i put my 2 fish and crayfish in there last week from my 10 gallon. I was wondering what special products I should get to regulate my hardness, alkalinity and Ph levels. I did a test on it today and here are my results:

29 gallon 10/14/07 Freshwater Tank

nitrate:20 safe
nitrite:0 safe
hardness:300gh ppm - very hard
alkalinity:300kh ppm - high
ph:8.4

did you mean your nitrAtes are 20, or your nitrItes?

As far as your PH goes, it is better to keep a steady PH, rather than an "Ideal" PH level. The hardness, unless you have critters that prefer softer water, should not affect anything.I am no expert in the field of hardness and aquariums, so if I am wrong please correct me. What 2 fish do you have? What is your ammonia level?

IMO the 5 in 1 test strips are notoriously inaccurate. I'm afraid to tell you that the product called cycle will NOT speed up your cycle at all, it contains no live bacteria. The only safe nitrite and ammonia is 0!! Your ph readings will not be accurate with that test kit or while cycling. Your best bet is to get AP master test kit. You can go here to see how inexpensive they are.

These strips do not tell me ammonia levels. How long does it take for the tank to make a complete cycle? My lobster/crayfish hasnt been doing much activity lately he wont even come out of his cave for long, could this be a reason?

Oh yeah and I mixed up the nitrates and nitrites in my first post but I edited and fixed them.

As Zagz mentioned, I would definitely get a liquid test kit, I use the AP master test kit that was mentioned. It has tests for ammonia, nitrates, nitrites, and PH, I went out and invested in a hardness test kit to polish off the testing supplies. I dont know enough about lobsters/crayfish to make a determination as to why he is not active, but I would definitely test for ammonia before doing anything else. You might also look into a product called bio spira, as it contains live bacteria, and can help cycle your tank. I have used it multiple times, and have had successful cycles. The amount of time it takes a tank to cycle varies, the best thing to do is to test daily until the nitrItes and ammonia are at 0, some nitrAtes are ok, and can be managed with a good tank maintenance program.

ok thanks. So how would i bring the hardness down of my water? I will get one of those kits when i get some extra money.

As the test kit you have is not known for it's accuracy I would focus on doing regular water changes and having your lfs test your water until you can get a liquid test kit. Your tank is still cycling and will level out once the cycle is complete. You should not add any chemicals to the tank to adjust ph, hardness or anything else. A cycled tank with regular water changes will not need any tank additives aside from a good dechlorinator like Prime.

As others have said, do not worry about the hardness of your water. Fish are very adaptable. As long as the ph is steady, that is the most important thing. A word of advice, though, chasing ph (trying to lower it especially), is usually a waste of time. You should just get fish that will thrive in your water. I know some cichlid lovers who would die for water with 8.4 ph.

Back
Top Bottom