HELP

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
tarpon said:
You can do 100% on the betta bowl. Just put him in a container with old water. Empty and clean the bowl. And fill it up with distilled water and put him back. With distilled you don't need dechlorinator

Do NOT use distilled water. It is absolutely stripped of all minerals and has a ridiculously low pH...like shockingly low. Just use conditioned, temp matched water. In my 5 gallon Betta tank I do 25% changes twice a week.

eco23 said:
Do NOT use distilled water. It is absolutely stripped of all minerals and has a ridiculously low pH...like shockingly low. Just use conditioned, temp matched water. In my 5 gallon Betta tank I do 25% changes twice a week.

The betta bowl my mom got for it is maybe a gallon prob smaller than that

Mahoney said:

It will be fine there for the mean time, just start cycling your tank.

eco23 said:

Ahh. Glad you caught me on that. That's just what I used to use so I had no idea.

And yeah the betta would probably have ph shock going from the tank to that and then back. Better to use the same water.

Mahoney said:

It's fine to do a full water change, just remove some of the water, net the Betta, place him in the water you removed, empty then refill his bowl with fresh, conditioned, temperature matched tap water and place him back in.

Just remember a 1 gallon bowl is not suitable for a Betta (regardless of what the let stores do). You can purchase a 5 gallon tank, a heater and a sponge filter all for around $20. They even sell seeded sponge filters that already contain beneficial bacteria on a site called Angelsplus.com.

I will try that once I return the fish that I can't have in my tank

eco23 said:
It's fine to do a full water change, just remove some of the water, net the Betta, place him in the water you removed, empty then refill his bowl with fresh, conditioned, temperature matched tap water and place him back in.

Just remember a 1 gallon bowl is not suitable for a Betta (regardless of what the let stores do). You can purchase a 5 gallon tank, a heater and a sponge filter all for around $20. They even sell seeded sponge filters that already contain beneficial bacteria on a site called Angelsplus.com.

He doesn't have the money to buy all that, the betta will do fine in the bowl temporarily while he cycles his tank.

alex07 said:
He doesn't have the money to buy all that, the betta will do fine in the bowl temporarily while he cycles his tank.

Thank you I blew basically over half my pay check on all of the fish stuff I have now. That's why I am trying to do the cheapest and fastest way to get my tank cycled so I can just put the few fish I have left in there and wait till next payday a buy one or two more

I think we're all on a different page here...maybe a different book entirely. I agree a Betta temporarily in a 1 gallon is acceptable until a suitable home can be provided for them. We've already established that virtually none of the fish currently in the tank are compatible. I understand the OP plans on returning the fish when he can and will do water changes in the mean time...but if the plans here are to return the fish and then buy more on their next paycheck...the focus here should be on understanding how a fish-in cycle works (which I'm still not sure is fully grasped).

Also, if the plan is to put the Betta (a male I'm assuming?) in the community tank, the other focus should be on what fish will be be compatible long term with a Betta. While male Bettas can go with other fish...the stocking options are severely limited...and a ton of research should be done to learn what is suitable. These are things the OP will need to find out on his own with the help of sites like this...not from the LFS.

I hate to keep bringing up this point as well...but how is it a good idea to have a community tank at all if $20 is out of the realm of possibility to spend? I can't tell you how many times I've had to make mad dashes to the LFS and spend money on the spot for meda, or because a filter quit on me, I needed to set up a QT, a heater shorted out, etc...

IMO, what should be done here is a total restart and a review of what the long term plan is. This is still going in every direction with no clear plan of action.

I'm not saying to not have fish at all...but take this time to research, review stocking plans (which work with a Betta in a community tank), gather more information on getting the tank cycled, and what is the most cost efficient way to go about all if this.

eco23 said:
I think we're all on a different page here...maybe a different book entirely. I agree a Betta temporarily in a 1 gallon is acceptable until a suitable home can be provided for them. We've already established that virtually none of the fish currently in the tank are compatible. I understand the OP plans on returning the fish when he can and will do water changes in the mean time...but if the plans here are to return the fish and then buy more on their next paycheck...the focus here should be on understanding how a fish-in cycle works (which I'm still not sure is fully grasped).

Also, if the plan is to put the Betta (a male I'm assuming?) in the community tank, the other focus should be on what fish will be be compatible long term with a Betta. While male Bettas can go with other fish...the stocking options are severely limited...and a ton of research should be done to learn what is suitable. These are things the OP will need to find out on his own with the help of sites like this...not from the LFS.

I hate to keep bringing up this point as well...but how is it a good idea to have a community tank at all if $20 is out of the realm of possibility to spend? I can't tell you how many times I've had to make mad dashes to the LFS and spend money on the spot for meda, or because a filter quit on me, I needed to set up a QT, a heater shorted out, etc...

IMO, what should be done here is a total restart and a review of what the long term plan is. This is still going in every direction with no clear plan of action.

I'm not saying to not have fish at all...but take this time to research, review stocking plans (which work with a Betta in a community tank), gather more information on getting the tank cycled, and what is the most cost efficient way to go about all if this.

I plan on doing a partial water change till next monday and on Monday I am going to take the fish I have left except the betta and algae eater(maybe the algae eater too) once I return all my fish I was going to put the betta in the bowl while I do the fishless water cycle and while I am doing the fishless water cycle I am going to do some research on what fish to get and how many. I am hoping that I will be finished with the cycle by the time I get paid again so I can purchase a couple fish. The betta is a male and minds his own business for right now in the tank

Mahoney said:
I plan on doing a partial water change till next monday and on Monday I am going to take the fish I have left except the betta and algae eater(maybe the algae eater too) once I return all my fish I was going to put the betta in the bowl while I do the fishless water cycle and while I am doing the fishless water cycle I am going to do some research on what fish to get and how many. I am hoping that I will be finished with the cycle by the time I get paid again so I can purchase a couple fish. The betta is a male and minds his own business for right now in the tank

That plan is fine. Remember though...if it is a common Pleco (algae eater), they cannot stay in your tank since they get 2 feet long. Obviously, you can also not do a fishless cycle if you have fish in the tank...it has to be empty. Remember that cycling a tank can take quite a bit of time. Since none of the fish are compatible with your tank, and you have a place you can temporarily put the Betta...it will be good that you have this time to do lots of research on what will work in your tank with a Betta. Personally I'd add a small school or two of fish like Neon or Cardinal Tetras, the Betta and snails and / or potentially shrimp. You can also add a few Otos down the road. Bettas are beautiful fish and can work in a community tank, you just have to be careful choosing tank mates because the Betta may attack if he feels threatened, and other fish will likely nip at his fins if not chosen wisely and with lots of research.

eco23 said:
That plan is fine. Remember though...if it is a common Pleco (algae eater), they cannot stay in your tank since they get 2 feet long. Obviously, you can also not do a fishless cycle if you have fish in the tank...it has to be empty. Remember that cycling a tank can take quite a bit of time. Since none of the fish are compatible with your tank, and you have a place you can temporarily put the Betta...it will be good that you have this time to do lots of research on what will work in your tank with a Betta. Personally I'd add a small school or two of fish like Neon or Cardinal Tetras, the Betta and snails and / or potentially shrimp. You can also add a few Otos down the road. Bettas are beautiful fish and can work in a community tank, you just have to be careful choosing tank mates because the Betta may attack if he feels threatened, and other fish will likely nip at his fins if not chosen wisely and with lots of research.

The algae eater a whitish color so I don't think it is a common placo. I was going to return all my fish so I could have money for the stuff for stuff to cycle my tank

Ok sorry maybe I'm missing something here but......if he (she?) puts the betta in a 1 gal bowl or vase, isn't that going to need cycling too? Or at least regular water changes? And what about a filter?

What I would do if I were you is:
1) Do daily large (50%+) water changes until you can return the fish on Monday (I would return the algae eater too since we don't know what type it is and if it truly only eats algae it could potentially starve in there anyway)
2) Since you said you can't return the Betta I would cycle the 20 gal with the Betta in it. This is a fish-in cycle. But since the biload is small (the waste the betta puts out) and the 20 gal has a lot of water in it, you won't have to do as many water changes as you are now. It's IMPERATIVE that you get the liquid test kit though.
3) With the betta in the tank, test the water every day with your new test kit. :D Any time ammonia or/and nitrite reads more than .25 on the test, do a water change to get those levels down as close to 0 as you can. Same with nitrate over 20. Fish-in cycles can take weeks, so be patient. You are building a good colony of bacteria that your tank will need to stay healthy but it takes time. Start a cycle log on here if you want and we can help you through it.
4) During this time DO NOT BUY ANY MORE FISH :) You can certainly research fish and ask on here what else you can put in the tank after the tank cycles with the Betta, but not until then.

Also, not to burst your bubble but your 10 gal tank is too small for your goldfish. General rule of thumb is they need 20 gals for the first goldfish, and 10 gals for each additional. Not sure how many you have, but if you have 2 goldfish, you'll need a 30 gal tank, etc. Focus on getting the Betta tank cycled first, but try to save up to give the goldies a bigger tank.

librarygirl said:
Ok sorry maybe I'm missing something here but......if he (she?) puts the betta in a 1 gal bowl or vase, isn't that going to need cycling too? Or at least regular water changes? And what about a filter?

What I would do if I were you is:
1) Do daily large (50%+) water changes until you can return the fish on Monday (I would return the algae eater too since we don't know what type it is and if it truly only eats algae it could potentially starve in there anyway)
2) Since you said you can't return the Betta I would cycle the 20 gal with the Betta in it. This is a fish-in cycle. But since the biload is small (the waste the betta puts out) and the 20 gal has a lot of water in it, you won't have to do as many water changes as you are now. It's IMPERATIVE that you get the liquid test kit though.
3) With the betta in the tank, test the water every day with your new test kit. :D Any time ammonia or/and nitrite reads more than .25 on the test, do a water change to get those levels down as close to 0 as you can. Same with nitrate over 20. Fish-in cycles can take weeks, so be patient. You are building a good colony of bacteria that your tank will need to stay healthy but it takes time. Start a cycle log on here if you want and we can help you through it.
4) During this time DO NOT BUY ANY MORE FISH :) You can certainly research fish and ask on here what else you can put in the tank after the tank cycles with the Betta, but not until then.

Also, not to burst your bubble but your 10 gal tank is too small for your goldfish. General rule of thumb is they need 20 gals for the first goldfish, and 10 gals for each additional. Not sure how many you have, but if you have 2 goldfish, you'll need a 30 gal tank, etc. Focus on getting the Betta tank cycled first, but try to save up to give the goldies a bigger tank.

No need to cycle or put a filter for the betta in the bowl. Just don't you use distilled and condition the water just like any regular fish tank. No need to double multiple water changes for the betta once a week is fine as long as you dont over feed the fish. Also you can feed them every 2-3 days.

No need to cycle or put a filter for the betta in the bowl. Just don't you use distilled and condition the water just like any regular fish tank. No need to double multiple water changes for the betta once a week is fine as long as you dont over feed the fish. Also you can feed them every 2-3 days.

Maybe I'm just not understanding but.....the Betta is going to poop and pee, which is going to cause ammonia. And in a small bowl it's going to build up faster and be more dangerous to the fish. Maybe I'm wrong, but I'd still cycle the 20 with the betta. :D

librarygirl said:
Maybe I'm just not understanding but.....the Betta is going to poop and pee, which is going to cause ammonia. And in a small bowl it's going to build up faster and be more dangerous to the fish. Maybe I'm wrong, but I'd still cycle the 20 with the betta. :D

Around how long will it take to cycle the water with the betta in it

Whether you do a fish-in cycle or a fishless, it's going to take weeks (no set time really, all cycles are different, but average is 3-8 weeks). If you can get some established media from someone's established tank that will help a lot. Rather than putting the betta in a small bowl and subjecting it to ammonia I'd personally cycle the 20 gal with the betta; you'll have to do water changes but it won't be daily like you are now since the tank is large and after some weeks you'll be able to safely add more fish. And at least while the tank cycles you'll have the betta to look at. :D It's up to you ultimately, though. You could put the betta in a small tank or vase as others said but I still think it would require daily water changes in something that small, so cycling the 20 gal with the betta in it and give him more room to swim makes more sense to me.

Mahoney said:

It will take longer if you cycle with the fish, which is why you should move the betta and do it fishless

Mahoney said:

It will take longer if you cycle with the fish, which is why you should move the betta and do it fishless

Ugggg I don't know which one to do either way it's going to be a pain in the butt it seems like but if is do the cycle with the betta in the tank I wont have to buy the ammonia or anything right just the water chlorinator stuff

Back
Top Bottom