HELP

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Mahoney said:
Ugggg I don't know which one to do either way it's going to be a pain in the butt it seems like but if is do the cycle with the betta in the tank I wont have to buy the ammonia or anything right just the water chlorinator stuff

It will take more than a single Betta to cycle a 20 gallon tank unfortunately.

Did I see on another thread you have 8 Goldfish in a 10 gallon? If so, that's really what we should take a look at and work out before even considering what other fish we're gonna put in a new tank.

eco23 said:
It will take more than a single Betta to cycle a 20 gallon tank unfortunately.

Did I see on another thread you have 8 Goldfish in a 10 gallon? If so, that's really what we should take a look at and work out before even considering what other fish we're gonna put in a new tank.

I used to my brother bought it from me but the fish are small and doing fine for now

Hey, eco. Wouldn't it be a good idea for them to take some filter media or gravel from the already established 10 gallon tank and introduce to the 20 gallon with the fish that are currently I there in the mean time? They are going to be there until Monday anyway so he could jump start the cycle with them there and the borrowed media? Shouldn't that give his 20 gallon cycle a hug boost? Maybe even borrow some of the gold fish from brother brother to help with the cycle after the other fish are returned to the store?

Just my 2-cents. :)

wrmiller said:
Hey, eco. Wouldn't it be a good idea for them to take some filter media or gravel from the already established 10 gallon tank and introduce to the 20 gallon with the fish that are currently I there in the mean time? They are going to be there until Monday anyway so he could jump start the cycle with them there and the borrowed media? Shouldn't that give his 20 gallon cycle a hug boost? Maybe even borrow some of the gold fish from brother brother to help with the cycle after the other fish are returned to the store?

All good ideas. Borrowed media will help, but there's not going to be remotely near enough to fully handle the toxins those fish are producing.

I don't fully blame the OP since he/she received bad advice...but the truth is there's a lot of cleaning up to do and I'm not sure where to even start. 8 Goldfish require 90 gallons of water...obviously 10 is a long way from 90, and thats just a rule of thumb...some types of Goldfish basically require a pond. Ideally you could ditch the idea of a community tank and split the Goldfish up for the time being...but even then it's not suitable. Plus it still leaves the issue of the Betta.

There's actually at least 2 threads going on with this right now...I think the other thread is where seeded media has been mentioned.

All good points and ideas though wrmiller.

And Mahoney, you may want to PM a moderator to have them combine your threads on this subject. It definitely gets a bit complicated and hard to get all the facts when they're split over numerous threads.

wrmiller said:

Sounds like a great plan to me I'll def borrow some of my brothers gold fish and put some of his rocks and decorations in my tank while I cycle it. I hope that speeds it up a little

I think putting the rocks from the other tank and an ornament from the 10 gallon tank helped causes today I woke up with all my fish Alive!!!!!! I still did a 25% water change today

Mahoney said:
I think putting the rocks from the other tank and an ornament from the 10 gallon tank helped causes today I woke up with all my fish Alive!!!!!! I still did a 25% water change today

That doesn't mean anything, you need to test your water ASAP

alex07 said:
That doesn't mean anything, you need to test your water ASAP

I know this I am going to when I can go to pet smart I looked at wal mart and all they had were test strips so I didn't get any

Mahoney said:
I know this I am going to when I can go to pet smart I looked at wal mart and all they had were test strips so I didn't get any

Check in Amazon, at times i see the kit cheaper there

Great!! That's what I was thinking most people said it would be $20

Great!! That's what I was thinking most people said it would be $20

I think my might of died but I can't find him anywhere

tarpon said:
Or just went to petsmart. Mines cheaper than the petco for some reason.

I might just buy the one at petsmart cause I don't want to wait for it to come in the mail

Back
Top Bottom