Help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
The Freshwater Clam is a living filter that helps keep aquarium water clear and clean. By removing uneaten food and detritus from the water column, the Freshwater Clam helps maintain water quality and lower nitrate levels. Like many freshwater bivalves, Corbicual sp. typically buries itself in the substrate. However, spotting its siphon protrude from the substrate is truly captivating to observe. This variety of the Corbiculidae family only reaches a length of about 2", which makes it a suitable addition to well-established aquariums of almost any size.
Though found in temperate freshwater rivers and lakes around the world, this species originates in Asia and has a brown shell, banded in black. For best care, house the Freshwater Clam in an aquarium of at least 10 gallons with medium to very fine substrate. The Freshwater Clam should not be housed with invertebrate-eating fish, such as freshwater puffers.

The Freshwater Clam obtains its nutrition from filtering food and detritus from the water column. If necessary, its diet can be supplemented with a quality invertebrate food. Keep in mind that the Freshwater Clam will not tolerate any copper-based medication. If treating the aquarium with medication containing copper, move the Freshwater Clam to another aquarium. Do not return the Freshwater Clam until the copper in the treated aquarium has been removed by means of chemical filtration.

This is what it has about clams

Exactly-filter feeders. It's hard to keep filter feeders alive in a tank as they have no specific food they eat.
Also-not the part where it says a well-established aquarium-as in something set up for around three or four months.

I would research the clams a little more I personally don't know about them. I do know platys and it doesn't matter which species, if a female you buy has been fertilized by a male she can have up to 4 separate batches of fry from that one contact, and IME they can get aggressive if not able to mate.

What do they do?...well if I want to keep Platys then what do you suggest I do?

You could get a small 5g to keep the fry in, and give them away. Or ask some LFS's if they will take them, mine does but they don't pay for them, some will though.

Ok great. One of my friends also has a tank at school. Hers is filled with guppies. If they had fry would the guppies fry be ok with platy fry?

image-1304007321.jpg

Hey sorry it's the best I could get...is my guppy pregnant. I haven't had any fry in two years, this is my bowl btw

She looks pregnant to me, but its kinda hard to tell from that pic. Platy and guppy fry are just fine together.

Yep pregnant how far along.... Well id say shes got about a week or two

What other fish are in the tank? Do you have plants. Rocks for them to hide in? How long have u had her?

I have some other guppies 1 fake plant and a castle. I have had her for 2 years

Here are more pictures. They arnt that good but you can see her shape compared to other fish in some of them

image-4173232049.jpg

image-1285739447.jpg

image-2007459034.jpg

image-1782549300.jpg

image-2138100468.jpg

image-3347343205.jpg

image-423661436.jpg

image-3316124237.jpg

image-1032692003.jpg

image-480156570.jpg

Umm no Mollys but the chances are there is at least one male. How do you tell.

Back
Top Bottom