HELP!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Bluethumb

Aquarium Advice Activist
I just got two rummy nose tetras. They're floating in the bag right now. They're going in my 10 gallon tank with 3 neons and 2 cardinals. I also have 2 amanos and a dwarf cory cat. Will there be any problems?

I just got two rummy nose tetras. They're floating in the bag right now. They're going in my 10 gallon tank with 3 neons and 2 cardinals. I also have 2 amanos and a dwarf cory cat. Will there be any problems?

Hahaha it's a bit late for help as you already have them lol. Just to put your mind at rest you'll be fine mate.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

As far as bioload (assuming you have adequate filtration), you should be fine. The biggest issue is that you have shoaling species in numbers less than ideal. The rummy nose tetras and corydoras, especially, like to be in groups. You should have at least 3 or 4 of the corys and 5 or 6 of the rummy nose tetras. The neons and cardinals are fine. Any plans to upgrade the tank later to at least a twenty gallon? That would allow you to add the recommended numbers of corys and rummy noses.

The Rummys will not be super-happy in that number, but will school with both the Cardinals and Neons, which will eliminate much of the stress. Your cory will survive, but will be stressed and unhappy.

Get a larger tank and three more corys. Afterwards, get another four Rummys.

No not yet, but I'm working on my parents on the bigger tank. The catfish is fine, and doesn't seem to mind it being the only one. I've had him for almost two years. So far the rummys seem fine, and are sticking next to the other tetras. Thanks!

Many years ago, I kept a single Albino Cory in a tank with goldfish. It hid a lot, which means that it was a little stressed, but didn't die.

Rummynose need a larger, school of fish. I have 8 and don't think it's enough. They are awesome fish, sometimes 1 or 2 will get "lost" and the school will come and find them. It's really awesome to watch. They need a much larger tank in my opinion. But as others have said they have a low bioload since you only have 2 of them.

Also they will nip other fish. Not sure how they'll do with Amanos but RN are nippy (at least mine are).

Rummynose need a larger, school of fish. I have 8 and don't think it's enough. They are awesome fish, sometimes 1 or 2 will get "lost" and the school will come and find them. It's really awesome to watch. They need a much larger tank in my opinion. But as others have said they have a low bioload since you only have 2 of them.

They are definitely skittish. I originally had 8 in my 29-gallon and they were definitely happier when I added 4 corys. And they were even more relaxed after I added 8 Cardinals.

They seem fine and aren't nipping. They stay close to each other, but are starting to school with the cardinals and neons.

Back
Top Bottom