Helping a friend seed

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

xfactor6699

Aquarium Advice Addict
So my friend is going to start a 55g he's got 2 filters the second filter we are customizing with just poly-fil and micro beads... So I'm wondering if I take all his micro beads and hang them in my tank for like 2 weeks will that help him jump past doing a long cycle or a cycle at all

Tank Cycling

Hello x...

I'm not aware of a fast way to cycle a tank. Even with the use of filter media, gravel, etc. from an established tank, I would give the cycling process at least a month to make the tank safe for a few fish.

I cycle my tanks by using organic potting soil as a base substrate and cover that with a good amount of standard pea gravel. That, and putting in a lot of plants and letting the filter, heater and aeration run for 30 days will do the trick.

After the month, I put in a few fish and I'm "good to go".

I would discourage pushing the 30 days cycle period.

Just one reporter's opinion.

B

BBradbury said:
Hello x...

I'm not aware of a fast way to cycle a tank. Even with the use of filter media, gravel, etc. from an established tank, I would give the cycling process at least a month to make the tank safe for a few fish.

I cycle my tanks by using organic potting soil as a base substrate and cover that with a good amount of standard pea gravel. That, and putting in a lot of plants and letting the filter, heater and aeration run for 30 days will do the trick.

After the month, I put in a few fish and I'm "good to go".

I would discourage pushing the 30 days cycle period.

Just one reporter's opinion.

B

The only reason I say that is when I need to qt a fish I pull my 10g out of the closet fill it with close temp water as tank then take off one of my filters and put it on the qt tank and its instantly cycled so I figured he should be able to do the same or atleast pretty close my only confusion was his size tank if u could do that with his size

Tank Cycling

Hello again...

It's been some time since I've cycled a tank and your idea sounds good. If you're in a hurry to establish the tank and want to risk some fish, then you certainly can.

Guess I'm just from the "old school" and didn't mind waiting on the tank to do it's cycling thing.

I suppose you could also periodically test the tank water to judge if it's safe or not. That's another thing I really didn't get the hang of or felt I needed to do.

Use your own judgement, you have quite a number of posts, so if I can go by that, then you probably know what you're doing.

B

I haven't cycled a tank in a very long time... but I've set up a bunch. Running their filter on your tank for a couple weeks will be a great idea. That's essentially what I do. I pull a filter off an established tank, add fish, done. It's definitely mandatory to check water parameters just in case, but I've never had an issue with it.

mfdrookie516 said:
I haven't cycled a tank in a very long time... but I've set up a bunch. Running their filter on your tank for a couple weeks will be a great idea. That's essentially what I do. I pull a filter off an established tank, add fish, done. It's definitely mandatory to check water parameters just in case, but I've never had an issue with it.

That's what I thought just never did it with a bigger tank lol

mfdrookie516 said:
I should add that slowly stocking the tank is a good idea if you're only running the filter for a couple weeks.

Yeah that's his plan he just didn't want to do a fish in cycle cause he doesn't like stressing fish and he doesn't want to wait a month or 2 on a fish less cycle

xfactor6699 said:
Yeah that's his plan he just didn't want to do a fish in cycle cause he doesn't like stressing fish and he doesn't want to wait a month or 2 on a fish less cycle

You're a good friend. Invite your buddy to AA....

Back
Top Bottom