Helpp !!! Ammonia

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mollykid

Aquarium Advice Regular
Ok so my tank is cycled I think I added to many fish so I returned 4 and 2 have already died including my platy who I loved alot , I can't afford a API testing kit right cuz I am only a student and my parents won't buy it for me. I went to the store a got it tested they said it was ok the fish don't have red gills o anything I have been adding prime did a 50% water change and 25% daily could it be something else than ammonia effecting my fish ..? I greatly appreciate your help thanks in advance

I have also discontinued feeding haven't fed in 3-4 days also my swordtails find look different the seem bigger than before an slower I can post a pic /video he i also kinda red

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1405454498.056860.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1405454514.107047.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1405454526.011357.jpg
This is the swordtail should I add aquarium salt in the tank ...?

Don't add salt. Daily water changes are a bit much. Weekly is fine unless there is a problem. Make sure you are not using more Prime than is called for. Measure, don't guess. Over feeding isn't good, and skipping a day now and then is not a bad idea. When you feed, only as much as fish will eat entirely in 3 mins or less. Once a day is enough unless you have babies.

Pic of sword does not appear to show anything alarming. Watch temperatures, in summer water can get too warm, which is stressful, reduces oxygen in water, can kill if extreme. A fan can help lower temp, but you will have to top up more often due to increase in evaporation. Small clip fan can be aimed right at water if need be to lower temp. Just watch it does notmsuddenlymget too cold.... A fan can drop a tank ten degrees in just a hour or or two. You have to fool around with placement to get the best result. A timer is very useful if you can get one.

What should I do to get the ammonia down and thank you for helping

I don't think you have an ammonia problem. Store test said water ok, yes ? Plus so many water changes, be surprised if you had ammonia issue. What is the water temperature ?

78f is the temp I lost two fishes and swordfish has red streaks on his top fin

Temp ok, but try not to let it get any higher. Red streaks on the belly or sides can be infection or disease, but on fins, I don't think it is anything serious. Is the fin showing any sign of ragged edges ? Ammonia issues usually show up like as fish being very agitated, rubbing on gravel or objects, (flashing) or gasping for breath. If your fish are not showing these signs, ammonia isn't likely a problem.

What fish died and what symptoms did they have, if any ?

A platy and guppy they tried swimming but couldn't they kept sinking to the ground

That is sad, but does not sound like ammonia toxicity. Could have been any one of several things. For now, I would only do a 1/3 water change, not more than twice a week, and feed once daily, sparingly. Maybe skip one day in seven. Make sure you clean the filter every couple of weeks, only in water from the tank , not plain tap. I would hope you have no more deaths. If you can, vacuum the bottom every cople of weeks to get any poop that missed the filter. Good luck.

Back
Top Bottom