Here we go

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Wow! Gorgeous! You're good at this!

You could rough up the CC a bit by crushing it lightly, that will release some of it and your PH should rise some. Just keep an eye on it for now and let's hope it holds.

Mumma.of.two said:
It's looking good!
I know what you mean! I love watching a tank grow. Give you a sense of accomplishment. Have you decided on fish yet?

6 Ruby Barbs to start I think. Of all the fish I have looked at I think they are the best in terms of fitting in with the style of tank and also for sheer look ability, nice size too, not too big or small I think! . Could add some golds later perhaps, what do you think?

Test Results

pH 6.6 (praise the lord)

Ammo 0 topped back to 4

Nitrites 2

Nitrates 80

I'm thinking these are good, am I correct?

Game On

pH 6.4

Ammo 0

Nitrites 0

Nitrates about 120

Must find out what to do now....

Game On

pH 6.4

Ammo 0

Nitrites 0

Nitrates about 120

Must find out what to do now....

Woah!! Nice!!!! It could be cycled, but let's test just to make sure. Redose to 4, then test again in 24 hours. Do this for another couple of days. If ammonia and nitrite stay at 0 I'd say you can add fish! :dance:

6 Ruby Barbs to start I think. Of all the fish I have looked at I think they are the best in terms of fitting in with the style of tank and also for sheer look ability, nice size too, not too big or small I think! . Could add some golds later perhaps, what do you think?

I just looked them up; wow beautiful fish! The red and gold would look great in your tank! I think you could do 8 of each Ruby and Golds and you could probably add them all at once when the tank is cycled if you wanted to. You want to get a good female to male ratio to reduce stress on the females. What else are you thinking of adding?

librarygirl said:
I just looked them up; wow beautiful fish! The red and gold would look great in your tank! I think you could do 8 of each Ruby and Golds and you could probably add them all at once when the tank is cycled if you wanted to. You want to get a good female to male ratio to reduce stress on the females. What else are you thinking of adding?

Yep, and a few corries, just to help with cleaning, off to LFS to see what's what.

OK

pH 6.6

Ammo 0

Nitrites 0

Nitrates 5

Happy Days!

Off to get some fish!

Massive thank you to all who helped, couldn't have done it without you.

Will put some pics up soon.....

OK

pH 6.6

Ammo 0

Nitrites 0

Nitrates 5

Happy Days!

Off to get some fish!

Massive thank you to all who helped, couldn't have done it without you.

Will put some pics up soon.....

Awesome! Don't forget to turn your temp down if you have it high for the cycle! Usually a 100% pwc before adding fish is recommended since nitrates are usually very high but since your nitrates are good it's probably OK to leave it as is if you've already left to get fish :D Do a YouTube search for drip acclimation; it'll show you the best way to acclimate fish to a new tank.

Test daily for a good week or so though to ensure nothing odd happens (ammonia or nitrite return, although they shouldn't) and keep a close eye on that PH! Post pics when you get your fish. :)

Just got back from LFS.

4 pepper corries

8 golden barbs

6 black ruby barbs

1 male dwarf blue gourami

1 female dwarf blue gourami.

Really happy, but the female gourami only has 1 ventral fin. Should I take him back to the shop, or will she be ok. I believe they grow back in time!

Rendao said:
Just got back from LFS.

4 pepper corries

8 golden barbs

6 black ruby barbs

Really happy, but the female gourami only has 1 ventral fin. Should I take him back to the shop, or will she be ok. I believe they grow back in time!

Nice! Id keep her!! Next time remember to not buy as many fish the first run, even though you probably have enough BB to support them

Just got back from LFS.

4 pepper corries

8 golden barbs

6 black ruby barbs

Sweet!! Let them settle in tonight (with lights off if possible; I know it's tempting to want to see them though lol) and tomorrow post some pics! Just keep testing daily for a good week or so just to make sure nothing funny happens. A good 50% pwc per week should be good maintenance unless you find your nitrates are rising higher than 20 between water changes. Congrats again!

Mumma.of.two said:
Yes! 4 is a lot of ammonia to be processing in 24 hours. That is the advantage of fishless over fish in. :)

That is ONE of the advantages.

It also gives you time to really think about what fish you want

It creates what I believe is a really well cycled tank

If you are putting live plants in, or plastic ones for that matter you can spend time arranging them just how you want, it really does take quite a few days to get it right (well it did me).

You have to keep testing , I must have used the API kit about 100 times. Not only is it fun watching it all develop, but you also get a basic understanding of the relationship between pH, ammonia, nitrites and nitrates.

The day all the ammonia and nitrites goes, is such a buzz

After a month (approx) of tending your tank when you actually put some fish in you appreciate the whole thing so much more.

After you finish a fishless cycle, especially if you are new to it all as I am, you look at the tank as a quite wonderful Eco system, which you have a handle on, not just a place to put fish in.

And if that's not enough you can sit back in your chair and know you have set it up without having your fish suffer, and somehow when they swim out of that plastic bag you know they are going to be comfortable and healthy and that you have done your best for them. A fish keepers it is the least you should be prepared to do.

And if that's not enough, it teaches you patience.

Just read that back to myself and smiled, sure hope my tank holds up, or I might be eating humble pie, anyway it's how I feel at the moment. Thank you to all those kind peeps who helped yours me and the fish.

That is ONE of the advantages.

It also gives you time to really think about what fish you want

It creates what I believe is a really well cycled tank

If you are putting live plants in, or plastic ones for that matter you can spend time arranging them just how you want, it really does take quite a few days to get it right (well it did me).

You have to keep testing , I must have used the API kit about 100 times. Not only is it fun watching it all develop, but you also get a basic understanding of the relationship between pH, ammonia, nitrites and nitrates.

The day all the ammonia and nitrites goes, is such a buzz

After a month (approx) of tending your tank when you actually put some fish in you appreciate the whole thing so much more.

After you finish a fishless cycle, especially if you are new to it all as I am, you look at the tank as a quite wonderful Eco system, which you have a handle on, not just a place to put fish in.

And if that's not enough you can sit back in your chair and know you have set it up without having your fish suffer, and somehow when they swim out of that plastic bag you know they are going to be comfortable and healthy and that you have done your best for them. A fish keepers it is the least you should be prepared to do.

And if that's not enough, it teaches you patience.

Just read that back to myself and smiled, sure hope my tank holds up, or I might be eating humble pie, anyway it's how I feel at the moment. Thank you to all those kind peeps who helped yours me and the fish.

Beautifully said, thank you. (y)

pH 6.6

Ammo 0.125

Nitrites 0

Nitrates 10

Will keep an eye on things!

Been away for awhile, daughter looking after fish and cat. Got home and all well

6 ruby barbs - 1 male
8 golden barbs - 4 of each, I think still really small
4 pepper Currys
2 dwarf gourami 1 male 1 female

All fish doing great, all water readings great, I am so happy. Promise pics soon as.....

Back
Top Bottom