Here we go

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Results today, 12 Dec

pH 6.8

Ammo 0.5 - topped back up to 4

Nitrites at least 5

Nitrates somewhere between 40 and 80

Glad pH isn't dropping anymore

Your getting close. Glad to see your PH stabilizing. You'll be getting fish before you know it.

Worrying signs with the readings tonight.

pH 6

Ammo 0.25 topped it back up to 4

Nitrites off the scale

Nitrates about 80

Could someone confirm I need to do a tank PWC and advise if there is anything I m missing

Thanks.

Worrying signs with the readings tonight.

pH 6

Ammo 0.25 topped it back up to 4

Nitrites off the scale

Nitrates about 80

Could someone confirm I need to do a tank PWC and advise if there is anything I m missing

Thanks.

I would do a 100% water change to get PH back up.

OK busy morning ahead !

Thanks for the help.

Right done, pH now up to 6.8, and moved bag of crushed coral from side of tank to actually inside the filter.

Funny, had no idea I would have to go through all this, thought buy tank, put water in tank, put fish in water.

It's almost an art form.......and three o'clock in the morning!

Here we are ...

pH 6.6 ( falling still )

Ammo 0.25 topped back up to 4

Nitrites too high to read

Nitrates 80

Anyone keeping up with this!

Rendao said:
Here we are ...

pH 6.6 ( falling still )

Ammo 0.25 topped back up to 4

Nitrites too high to read

Nitrates 80

Anyone keeping up with this!

I'm following! Don't know much about fishless I do fish in :)
It's looking good though. is your ammonia falling from 4ppm to .25 in 24 hours?

Mumma.of.two said:
I'm following! Don't know much about fishless I do fish in :)
It's looking good though. is your ammonia falling from 4ppm to .25 in 24 hours?

Oh good stuff. The ammo fell like that in about 15 hours....something is happening.

Definitely looks good! How much coral are you using? Since you moved it into the filter it may help buffer the water more. If not (if PH is stiil falling) you could try adding more coral if you can fit it in. I'd say you're progressing well!

librarygirl said:
Definitely looks good! How much coral are you using? Since you moved it into the filter it may help buffer the water more. If not (if PH is stiil falling) you could try adding more coral if you can fit it in. I'd say you're progressing well!

Just back from the LFS with more crushed coral. Will try a 50% water change and see how it goes.

Right

pH 6.4

Ammo 0.5 topped back to 4

Nitrites about 5

Nitrates 40

Extra coral added, hoping pH stays where it is, although somehow I think it will fall again, bucket ready. Any views on the pH stabiliser chemicals. Don't really want to use it but !

Rendao said:
Right

pH 6.4

Ammo 0.5 topped back to 4

Nitrites about 5

Nitrates 40

Extra coral added, hoping pH stays where it is, although somehow I think it will fall again, bucket ready. Any views on the pH stabiliser chemicals. Don't really want to use it but !

Do not use pH altering chemicals. IMO they do more harm than good. If the crushed coral doesn't work the pH chemicals definitely won't.

Mumma.of.two said:
Do not use pH altering chemicals. IMO they do more harm than good. If the crushed coral doesn't work the pH chemicals definitely won't.

OK any tips for getting the pH back up? Tempted to turn off the CO2, I believe the gas is acidic, but the plants are settling down nicely!

Rendao said:
OK any tips for getting the pH back up? Tempted to turn off the CO2, I believe the gas is acidic, but the plants are settling down nicely!

Co2 definitely changes pH. You don't want to just switch it off. Your asking for algae issues if you do. I don't know too much about co2 but do you have a drop checker to watch your levels?

Mumma.of.two said:
Co2 definitely changes pH. You don't want to just switch it off. Your asking for algae issues if you do. I don't know too much about co2 but do you have a drop checker to watch your levels?

Ha funny you mention that. Ordered one yesterday. Sounds like monster water changes are in order. Am hoping I am getting near the end of cycling, seems to have taken yonks.

Rendao said:
Ha funny you mention that. Ordered one yesterday. Sounds like monster water changes are in order. Am hoping I am getting near the end of cycling, seems to have taken yonks.
As I said before I don't know much about co2 but just a guess that the co2 keeps bringing it down and no matter how many PWC you do it will keep bringing it down. Do you know how to make the 4 kh solution for the drop checker?
When you get fish you are going to want to keep your pH as stable as you can when you have fish so the sooner it gets sorted the better.

Yeah, I reckon you are right. Just checked pH again, seems to be holding at 6.6 (for now).

Will keep an eye on it, and dose Ammo as needed.

It's funny, I am enjoying my aquarium more than I hoped for. It's quite an art form just getting it cycled, if you know what I mean! The plants are coming on nicely, been in a couple of weeks now. In fact I will post a picture or two

image-94328565.jpg

image-427969703.jpg

image-232349238.jpg

Got to say that I am really pleased with the way it looks, I didn't think it would mean as much to me as it does. Its not finished yet (apart from adding fish at some point!) and I have a few little ideas. Anyway you guys take a bow, and thanks again for all your interest, help and encouragement. Cheers Dudes...

Back
Top Bottom