Hi i need some help and advice

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jesshdz

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi, I'm new to this website and I have little to no experience of any kind when it comes to aquariums of any kind. I was wondering if I can some advice on what to get in order to make a self-sustaining freshwater shrimp tank or at least a low maintenance. I'm going to attempt make a underwater garden gift for my mother.

thanks so much for any help you can give!

Welcome to the community.

So making a shrimp habitat takes some time, mainly due to the need for a tank to mature, and develop microorganisms. Additionally it would also need to be cycled.

To get a base for the project, start with the article in my signature.

Getting started. It will be a great resource to create a foundation to build a shrimp tank upon.

You can go to Invertebrates here
Freshwater & Brackish - Invertebrates - Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community
To start learning more information about keeping shrimp.

You can use the search feature to check for other information which might interest you.

Cycling a tank can take up to 2 months. There is the option to use healthy media from a filter of a FW aquarium keeper to have a colony of BB aka Beneficial Bacteria. The BB will help take care of uneaten food and waste.

As a side note, this a not hard to do but is a quite involved process.

Is this somewhat complex gift something your mother would want?

Considering the care and commitment connected to it? As with all pets, make sure the person receiving it is prepared and understands the commitment of keeping living creatures in optimum conditions.

Happy you found us!!! :dance:

Hi, thanks again for the information. I had done some more research and what I've gathered from it is that-

1) Red cherry and Ghost shrimp are the easiest to maintain

2) Its best to have more than 1 for social reasons

3) Shrimp and fish can be sensitive to whatever decor that is put in their environment

I've also read that the main things that i would have to maintain is the vegetation and a regular water change.

Plus I've found videos on Youtube showing that it is possible to have a tank with no filter, no C02, and no Ferts https://youtu.be/dU5izzyxqeA

I've also found some videos showing shrimps being place in a glass jar with nothing but a java moss ball and a twig with no other information. Is that safe for the shrimp??

The no filter would be the concern.

Also most people who show these tanks are more experienced in keeping aquatic life.

The shrimp would be able to live in a tank as you suggest with vigilant care and water changes and maintenance. I wouldn't think that you would need more than a few shrimp. To socialize and reproduce (if M & F in tank).

Back
Top Bottom